Because I Am a Size Twelve This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

To whom it may concern:

I walk by Abercrombie and Fitch every time I go to the mall. I can hear it from fifty feet away, the thumping bass of club music, and the strong smell of cologne. Every time I walk by the front door a larger than life photo of scantily clad models, sun kissed and perfect, greets me. And I’m reminded that I am not one of those models. When you walk in the store you see racks upon racks of stylish clothing, hanging up neatly beside stylish mannequins and smiling photos. I must admit, the atmosphere is impressive. It screams modern and sexy. But I won’t find anything in this store for me. I won’t find a single piece of clothing I can wear, won’t find a single picture of a girl who looks like me on a wall, won’t ever see a mannequin my size. Because I am a size twelve. Because I am a size twelve, I can’t try on those stylish jeans I see everyone else wearing. Because I am a size twelve I can’t wear shorts or tank tops in the summer for fear of showing my unsightly limbs. Because I am a size twelve, I shouldn’t be wearing Abercrombie and Fitch clothes. Because I am a size twelve, I am not the “all-American, popular” teenager that Abercrombie and Fitch wants wearing their clothes. Because I am a size twelve, I will never get the chance to see myself as beautiful, because I don’t belong in that store. Because I am a size twelve, I must not be worth anything. Because I am a size twelve, I will walk home from Abercrombie and I will not eat. Because I am a size twelve, I will starve myself so that maybe, someday, hopefully, I will be emaciated enough to be able to walk into Abercrombie and not feel ashamed of who I am. Because I am a size twelve, I now feel sub-human, because that store will not serve me. Because I am a size twelve. And not a size 2. Because I have muscles and bones, and yes, fat. Because I am built like my Viking ancestors and not like a fairy. Because I don’ t meet a CEO’s idea of who he wants wearing his clothes, I will now feel like I don’ t belong. Like I never will because I am ugly. Thank you, Abercrombie and Fitch. Thank you for making me and millions of other girls hate the reflection they see in the mirror. Because I am a size twelve.

Sincerely,

A Human Being

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 28, 2013 at 4:15 pm:
That was really powerful and moving. You're beautiful honey, don't worry about trying to fit into their idea of beautiful. i've got two poems you may like, "Nine Letter Word" and "Society Killed the Teen" if you feel like checking them out. :) just remember that youre beautiful!!

kasssandraaa said...
May 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm:
This is incredible, and you are beautiful no matter what.   

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2013 at 2:59 pm:
*Applause* Amen to this!!! This is so well written and it captures the shame of every girl who isn't built like a model. I know many girls who are size twelves and are healthy and beautiful.  It is sad to think they are ashamed of their size because of things like this. :( Anyways, 5 stars! :)

LunaLives said...
May 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm:
That is exactly how I feel. I'm a size 11.

LoveHappens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm:
I absolutely love this piece of writing. You creatively capture the pain and stress that MANY girls feel everytime they enter a "popular" store in a mall. I really wish that society would perceive what it's doing to girls' body image and self-esteem. Your writing is a step in the right direction. Thank-you for stepping up to the plate and speaking out against such cruelty - that's what it is sometimes. Keep writing :)

Triscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 17, 2013 at 11:05 am:
This sums up my feelings about this store perfectly, especially after that statement the CEO released. I've always been a bit bigger than most girls, and i used to hate that I couldn't fit into the clothes that other girls wore. Eventually, though, I realised that they just looked like clones, not individual people. This piece is amazing, I love it.