The Right Path to the Best Solution | Teen Ink

The Right Path to the Best Solution

By Mexi_Paul BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Mexi_Paul BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

YOLO

The vast concept of Immigration has no pro and con side, and no good and bad. For America, immigrants come from all over, not just from Mexico. But the majority does come from that country. Some bring their parents, and others come along. This paper does not address whether we should keep them out or in, but what should happen to the ones that are already in. There are many common stereotypes for Mexican illegal immigrants in the United States that do not boost their social status or confidence. They come to America because the living expectations in America seem better than their current homes, or at least their current situation and they begin looking for a better place socially, economically, and/or culturally. America isn’t perfect, but better for them. And in fact, these new waves of people can help the United States out with a few of their problems, a major one being current economics. Despite this fact the moral question at hand is whether those immigrants who have made the long journey should stay or not. The United States, divided with this question, must ask itself whether it should or should not. but the moral and common sense answer is yes, the Federal American Government needs to allow Mexican Illegal Immigrants that have situated themselves in America to stay because these immigrants help the economy by creating jobs, add diversity to the country, and it is the moral thing to do. Unfortunately, others don’t see it this way.

The vast majority of the opposition involves people who get into politics and economics, which sometimes shrouds the true and clear understanding of morality. The opposition believes that Mexican American Illegal Immigrants should be deported. A lot of their justification lies in the American identity. They do not want to blend other culture into the American one. Along with their families, these Immigrants bring along food, music, and a unique lifestyle. A lot of politicians and economists do not favor this. Mainly because they do not like the idea of American culture changing. But if we remember, one of the greatest empires in the world was the mongolian empire. Eventually, they integrated themselves into Chinese culture, making a unique Chinese Identity that is still represented today. And because history repeats itself, who can say it will not happen to America and Mexico. Besides this, the immigrants help our economy in other ways.

In fact, according to Walter Ewing, a study in 2006 showed that about 1.4 million illegal immigrants in the state of Texas had spent about 18 million dollars and added that to Texas’ economic output and payed back what they used in state services with an added .4 million dollars, which went towards new state revenues. (qtd in NYT Upfront). Another way they help the economy includes paying sales and property taxes. And a majority of these people pay taxes to the state and the federal government. They even have a disadvantage because they do not receive Medicare, Social Security, and other tax funded programs, but that still helps the economy because they still have to pay those sales and property taxes. Another interesting fact is that they take part in 5 percent of the U.S. labor force. About ¼ of these workers work in industries that include processing meat, production of textiles, landscaping, agriculture, and construction. In fact, if these illegal workers from Mexico were allowed to earn legal status, then it would allow them to advance in the career ladder without being scared of getting deported. This means their pay is higher, they can pay more money in taxes, and there is more federal money to spend (Ewing). But these are just a few of the concerns of American problems. Another major part of this issue is the immigrant’s children, if they have any.In a speech about the DREAM act and other solutions to illegal immigrants and their children, Obama says:

The[r]e are young people who study in our schools, play in our neighborhoods, are friends with our kids, and pledge allegiance to our flag. They are Americans in their heart and minds, in every single way but one: on paper. They were brought to this country by their parents, sometimes even as infants, and often have no idea that they’re undocumented until they apply for a job or driver’s license, or a college scholarship. Put yourself in their shoes” (Obama).

The child is not at blame for being illegal, and neither is their parent for wanting them to raise their child in a better place. In actuality, no one is to blame if a parent wants their kid to grow up in an environment better than the one they did themselves. But the government will take the blame if they deport the parent, leaving a young child along without a mom or a dad. Keeping these immigrants there would be in the best interest for everyone. Let us say the child has grown up, and their parents have died when the kid has now become a young adult. Let us say the child has worked hard throughout school, and even was the smartest in his or her’s grade. They would not want to face the fear of being caught when applying to their dream college and then getting deported to a country that “ you know nothing about, with a language that you may not even speak” (Obama).

Although the government has tried to help immigrants like them out by attempting to pass laws like the dream act. This grants citizenship to kids whose parents are illegal but they were born in the United States and they are willing to go to college or serve in the military (Obama). Yet, the parents should be allowed to stay there too. Rifts in families can create emotional problems, and may cause the kid to lose focus in their education. Keeping the families together allows for them to flourish together.

There is no reason to take extra efforts in trying to deport or expel these Illegal Immigrants from America. In the past four decades, there was a significant increase in illegal immigration. Yet in recent years, there is a steady decline. According to Obama, “we’ve prioritized our resources and used discretion about whom to prosecute, focusing on criminals who endanger our communities rather than students who are earning their education.” (Obama) The government handles the situation on those immigrants who are trying to come in and cause havoc. We just have to decide what is going to happen to the ones in here. Do not let politics and other people’s opinions get in your way to seeing the right path to the best solution. After all, it could have been you on the other side.

Works Consulted
Associated Press. “Number of US Illegal Immigrants from Mexico drops.” FoxNews. Fox News.

23 April, 2013. Web. 23 Jan, 2013.
Bennett, Brian. “Obama...Reform,” Los Angeles Times. 7 Dec, 2012. Web. 15 Jan, 2013.
Buriel, Raymond. “Historical, Socio-Cultural, and Conceptual Issues to Consider When Researching Mexican American Children and Families, and other Latino Subgroups.” Colegio Oficial de Psiologos de Madrid. 291-303. (3 Nov, 2012); Web(18 Jan, 2013).
Gerweck, Michal. “Immigration and Emigration.” 15 Jan, 2013. 15 Jan, 2013
Davis, Jeanie Lerch. “Health Care costs Concern America.” Health and Balance. WebMD. 26 March, 2004. Web. 23 January, 2013.
Ewing, Walter and Krikorian, Mark. “Are illegal immigrants good for the U.S. Economy?” The New York Times Upfront. The New York Times. Web. Jan 23, 2013.
Georgetown Law. “Immigration Law (U.S.) Research Guide.” (15, Jan 2013); Web.
Obama, Barack. “Obama’s Article on Immigration, June 2012.” Council on Foreign Relations. 17 June, 2012. Web. 15 January, 2013.
O’Brien, Matt. “Report: Latino YOuths Straddle Two Worlds as They come to Terms with Identity.” Contra Costa Times. 31 Dec, 2009. Web. 3 Jan, 2013.
PROCON.org. “What are the solutions to illegal immigration in America?” Top 10 Pros and Cons. Illegal Immigration. Web. 13 June, 2009. 18 Jan, 2013.
Spedding, Bill. “The Mongolian Empire.” History Class Lecture. Keystone School. 23, Jan 2013.
US Immigration Support. “Illegal Immigration from Mexico,” US Immigrant support.
Usimmigrationsupport.org. Web. 18 Jan, 2013.

Works Cited

As a Mexican-American, I would like to inform others what sort of hardships my family has gone through.