A Tool For Justice | Teen Ink

A Tool For Justice

By beezel16 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
beezel16 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

My grandpa is a big hunter. He mostly hunts deer, but the main key to hunting is that a gun is needed (unless you use a bow). I can't imagine what my grandpa would be like if he couldn’t hunt or even collect guns. For that reason I feel like the semi automatic gun ban should not happen. Now that is not the only reason I think that it should not happen, there are others. Such as it is unconstitutional and (the big one) it won't stop crime. Also these guns are not as deadly as revolvers and finally it will hurt the economy.

For those people that do not know what the second amendment says. It states “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”. Now by understanding what the constitution is saying, more would agree that banning semi automatic guns, would go against the constitution. According to the second amendment and public safety page, it says that the colonial farmers had to defend themselves and their homes from the red coats, and how were they able to do that? That’s right, with guns. I wouldn't want to change a sense of security for people. Besides the point that it is unconstitutional, there is something else that it won't do that people think it will.

I am not sure why, but for some reason people actually think that banning these guns will stop crime. First thing's first, most criminals,according to the “second amendment and public safety page (SAPS)”, handguns, such as pistols or revolvers are the most commonly used weapon and also they are some of the easiest guns to get a hold of. I can’t grasp the reason why people think that banning semi automatic guns will help the problem. When there is a reason it won’t stop crime.

As I said before, criminals prefer smaller weapons, such as pistols and revolvers, because they are easier to hide. Even though pistols and the guns that could be banned are both “semi” automatic (only fires one bullet at a time) people think that the bigger gun means that the gun is more deadly. All this coming from the “semi automatic firearms and assault weapons issue article(SAFAW)”, it states that revolvers pack a bigger punch, even though that most revolvers hold only six to eight bullets, while the semi automatic hold around ten and up. This issue could hurt people if it does get passed.

Many people do not understand this, but banning guns could hurt the economy. According to the “semi automatic rifle ban would reduce jobs, not crime”, firearms sales increased 42% in the past few months and many believe that it is because of these guns. Also many believe that because of these guns being sold, is the reason the companies are still around. Beside that point, what about the people that makes these guns? What happens to them? Thats something to also think about. Many people will be getting hurt if it does happen.

This matter is unconstitutional, it won’t stop crime, the economy will get hurt, and these guns are not the problem. Weapons make people feel safe, also these guns account for 15% of the 250 million privately owned guns, according to the SAFAW. Just like the saying goes, “Guns don't kill people, people kill people” Fred A. Roff. Maybe we should look into that a little deeper instead.

Read my paper.