Beyond the Mirror | Teen Ink

Beyond the Mirror

April 1, 2013
By AlexWeepingSalix SILVER, Round Rock, Texas
AlexWeepingSalix SILVER, Round Rock, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are a lot of good looking people. People who lack flaws and have perfectly gleaming teeth against unblemished skin. People who gain attention the moment they step into a room. Too much of media circulates around physicality-not to condemn these advertisers because it is their ultimate goal to sell a product, but the physicality and fresh faces of these perfectly good looking individuals is nothing. They're idolized because they've hit a genetic lottery- a form of luck that enables them to be liked by everyone because they're "hot" or "pretty". The people that you remember aren't the prettiest ones, no. The people you remember are the ones who challenge the way you see the world, the ones who make something for everyone when there is nothing. I have yet to find a headstone that reads "she was so pretty, so good looking." So then why are we so focused on physical appearance when what we really crave is adventurous mentalities and different personas? Yes beautiful people are people, these statements shouldn't prompt you to judge them because of their appearance, but can we begin to look beyond the physicality?