My Letter to a Terrorist

You have raped, stolen, murdered, killed thousands, orphaned children; this letter is exclusively for you. Whatever you’ve done is, sure, a mighty achievement. But what are your amazing skills and extraordinary toil worth, if you have not made a single person smile?

You have bombed great skyscrapers and cherished the destruction of those you despised. But did you also despise that innocent infant, clutching his mother’s dress, not knowing she’d never respond to his pleas?

The ashes, shades of grey spotted with the red of broken people, surround you. How can you cruelly twist your mouth into a smile? Aren’t you letting your mouth and brain coldly betray your heart, which I know is after all human?

Revenge may satisfy your pride and the lost souls of your ancestors, but doesn’t it starve millions who have done no wrong? Revenge might kill the people you hate, but is their death an undoing of unfortunate events that have already taken place? What are you trying to prove?

You are no ordinary person, you must have prodigious abilities and valour to be who you are. Have you considered using them to aid your brothers and sisters, to make a positive difference in the world? Because it is a beautiful feeling to make others smile. It’s never too late to turn back and start brightening people’s lives. Even now, refraining from further iniquity and endeavouring to find goodness can smoothen a scarred past.

You are letting your heart turn into a stone; you are living on the death and the grief of millions of people who don’t deserve the loss you subject them to. You are slowly, and callously, killing yourself too and the bit of human in you that’s trying hard to keep living. I don’t want your humanity to be murdered, because no one in this world deserves that. You were not born a bad person, no one is. Maybe circumstances moulded you; but if it’s too late for you to turn back, at least do not mould new young minds the same way. Live like humans were meant to, like birds and animals do. Let’s forget grudges, annihilation, and death. Let’s smile, and walk hand in hand under a bright clear sky, as fellow human beings.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:56 am
That was heartening!! and well-written too...:)) I could feel my pulse getting faster with sentiment and it engulfed me.

Jessie M. replied...
This was fantastically well written. Your word choice and rhythm really helped convey your message.