Confession Time: Be You | Teen Ink

Confession Time: Be You

By Kayla_Marie SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
Kayla_Marie SILVER, McDonough, Georgia

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that's why we call it the present."
-"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."

Confession time: I am a staggering five feet tall, I am a popcorn junky, a Harry Potter fanatic, petrified of the dark, and wouldn't last a second against a measly spider. I didn't just tear up during Act of Valor... just basically created Niagra Falls in my living room. I love reading generic lovey-dovey teen romance novels and keeping up to date with all the celebrity gossip. I'm no one special, but I'm me. It's crazy sometimes to just sit back and observe your surroundings. You see things like fellow peers being put down and talked about because of stupid, simple thing like the clothes they wear, the way they laugh, or because they would rather be quiet and enjoy a book rather than fill the air with meaningless conversation. Or maybe you'll catch a glimpse of the other side of the spectrum, and witness peers who get mocked because they consider listening to top twenty hits a sin and prefer listening to underground bands and atypical indie albums. You see people stereotyped for wearing toms and high-waisted pants, for eating frozen yogurt and taking billions of cat pictures, yet there is nothing wrong with any of these things. Except people are judged for them. Today's generation is so judgmental, on both sides of the spectrum. Who care's if someone has a weird obsession with boy bands and they enjoy taking pictures of food and their cats and post on Instagram every five minutes? Who care's if someone drives a crappy car they adore and that they rock the signature Justin Bieber look? Because it's these little things that separate us from everyone else, and if we can't stay true to our secret obsessions and our quirky habits then we really can't stay true to who we are. This may be fine for those of us used to pretending, used to conforming, and used to being molded into the person that society thinks we ought to be. But for most, we can't change. Who we are today is who we will be tomorrow and the next day and the next. We need to learn how to embrace our individuality and stop trying to hide it. John Mason said, "You were born an original, don't die a copy." Keep this in mind the next time someone tries to laugh at you about the book you're reading or the One Direction tee you just had to have. Don't try to be someone you’re not, just be yourself. No one can tell you you're doing it wrong.