Death is Like Diamonds | Teen Ink

Death is Like Diamonds

By LivKlo BRONZE, Dedham, Iowa
LivKlo BRONZE, Dedham, Iowa

Slaughter, suicide, or dying in peace, eventually one’s life must be taken, but most would not associate this thought with a precious stone. Each cut signifies a form of death. The formation exemplifies the body remaining, and price tag symbolizes the cost of life. A diamond may be a stiff rock mutilated to reflect the sunlight but through many ways it also reflects death.

Death occurs everywhere, everyday, and in every which way. There are a variety of forms in which to pass and a multitude of cuts for a diamond. The simple round cut leaves the perception of coming full circle or completion of one’s life work. This style radiates light better than most, common to how fame shines brighter than the average. Could it be the round cut symbolizes the lost of the well known? The pear, similar in shape to a tear, illustrates a sorrow feeling from a tragic loss or death through an illness. These illnesses often draw more tears than others because you have seen their pain as they fought to be cured. Marquise, or a pointed oval cut, is sharp at both ends. Either way you look at the marquise your facing a difficulty, the difficulty of misery day-to-day or self-murder. This pointed oval appears to signify the taking of your own life. A very unusual style would be leaving the diamond uncut. This suggests murder. The mutilation of one’s body till it is unrecognizable. It is hard to see the elegance in a diamond when it cannot cast light as well like it is difficult to see the mercy in the slaughtered. Cuts of this clear stone mock the form or state of the body after one has passed.

After death, you are left with the remaining. The body is hard and cold like a diamond; neither have a heartbeat or pulse. As the body sits unattended to it bloats, and the eyes will bulge. Sooner or later if left alone for long enough the tongue will swell and protrude the mouth. As time passes, the body becomes larger just as a diamond’s size increases the longer it is waits under pressure. After a body is found, it commonly will be placed inside a coffin. This is similar to a diamond being set inside a wedding band or other jewelry clasp after being discovered.

You can discover a diamond or the deceased, but often times after one has left our life we admire their personal discoveries. Diamonds all come with a price like the deceased’s life was once worth something. In ways, certain people’s life may seem worth more. This could be because of their life’s work and the time they spent giving us something we enjoyed or learned from. The more time they gave to us the higher their price in our hearts like the higher the pressure applied to the rock the more massive diamond creating a higher price tag. Another way the deceased can strike us of having more self-worth is if they have suffered through hard battles or challenges and have grown through the process. Similarly, diamonds withstand and grow from extreme heat.

Heat or pressure either way it impacts the diamond like a death affects our life. Some processes a person can die pierce us more than others. Afterwards, we are left with the remaining of the deceased and reflecting back to their life. All of these aspects of death can be tied to features of a diamond, the cut, the growth, and the price tag, and swell in our hearts.