To lie, or not to lie | Teen Ink

To lie, or not to lie

By Justin3 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
Justin3 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

Have you ever been lied to? Of course you have. Statistics shows that the average person lies 1.6 times every day. Lies have been placed into different types of categories: half lies, white lies. But lies are lies. They can hurt someone’s feelings, but can also help from harming them too. These days our nation doesn’t know how not to lie. Lying is part of our society, which needs to be fixed. Lying is a bad characteristic of a person, and shows that you cannot be trusted. Telling the truth will be less stressful, and easier on you. Telling the truth would also make the world a better place in the long run.

When I was in the elementary, I noticed that is was easy to lie. This happened because it was always fun to tell stories that made you sound like a superhero. The problem with that was that it was harder to remember that lie. Telling the truth was much easier, because when you lie, it has been tested that it’s harder for you to remember that lie. If you tell the truth all you know is the truth, you don’t have to remember the lie. Most of the time when you lie, you have to tell another lie just to cover up that lie. At the same time a lie can help you at that moment. For instance, if your grandpa recently passed away, and a family member driving home asks you how grandpa is doing, you don’t want to break the news to someone at that moment. So you could try not to bring up the truth yet. If you lie at the time it’s very important to come clean about the lie.

There is a lie to help from harming someone, if you told that family member the truth, the family member could become depressed or become distracted from driving, and possibly crash. If the truth is not going to harm the person you’re telling, the truth is the best solution, and will help keep you out of conflict that could be avoided. Many people ask the question, if telling the truth is going to harm them. That’s not how it should be. The world would be a better place if there weren’t any lies. It would make the world more peaceful, and also make people more trustworthy, just cutting down on the number of lies we tell, will help. Statistics show that everyone tells about 1.6 lies every day, just think if we could cut that down to 1.6 lies a week. Just that small change would help the world turn into a place where everyone can trust one another’s words.

Favorite Essay yet