Never Before | Teen Ink

Never Before

By volleygirl2 SILVER, Woodland Park, Colorado
volleygirl2 SILVER, Woodland Park, Colorado

Lying is no longer false words, accusations or statements; it has grown way outside the reaches of mankind. People now make a living off of it, playing cons on their fellow citizens; cheating, stealing and hurting, to receive what? For money and praise, isn’t that what we want in life? Some may argue happiness or health, but deep down inside they want more. They want the praise of being the fittest or the fortune of being popular. A life without lying is almost foolish to think about, because in our fallen world it is what we are taught ever since we stole the last cookie or broke that special vase. We learn to cover up our tracks with more and more lies until that is all we know. It becomes a habit, a craving, a necessity. A world that is stronger and has more integrity is a world that has never told a lie.

In movies, books, and in real life we see time and time again people not succeeding because of a lie they told to land a new job or to receive the interest of another person. Yet, through all of these warnings we still cannot figure out that telling lies is wrong. It’s just human nature that we always think we can do better or no one will find out but what often happens? The truth catches up to us. We find ourselves in trouble. We suffer. We find ourselves in a never ending circle. Once we are taught how to lie, it can never be forgotten, it will always be lurking in the back of our minds like the shadow that never leaves your side. Yet the problem of lying is not from one learning or developing, it’s hidden, waiting to be found.

At the center of our false world lays morality. Everything we do is based on it. Morality is like that extra heartbeat when you take a chance on something you weren’t sure about. It lets you know when you are doing something you should or should not be doing. In today’s world we often have a hard time deciphering right from wrong. Today, it is plain to see that everything is made up on lies from little children to our top athletes to our government. If the world and all of its leaders cannot decide on basic principle morals and follow through with them, our fundamentals will never change.

Imagine a world where everyone walked with their head up, shoulders back and had passion in their eyes. Imagine a world where life grew freely, no trapped doors or loop holes. Imagine a world where no one has ever told a lie.

Would the world be better with or without lying?

on Mar. 1 2013 at 12:25 am
Excellent introductory discussion on how lying & cheating are becoming the accepted norm in today's society. Volleygirl2 shows some very insightful thoughts here; certainly food for thought and further discussion.