Why not?

It seems like everyone these days has a Facebook, Twitter, or MySpace. Don’t ridicule me just because I don ‘t have one, I have many reasons why I don’t. People just don’t understand that maybe something in my past makes me not want to join Facebook.

Ever since I was in fifth grade, almost everyone in my class was in a social networking site. People used to tell me, “Wow, you’re so lame, how could you not have a Facebook!” Well here’s why: we are only in fifth grade people! The more I kept making excuses, the more they kept peer pressuring me to make one. I started to feel left out of the conversations they were talking about. I was alone in my non-networking world.

Later on, my best friends were joining, so I decided to join. Why not, I thought. If my best friends joined, maybe I should join right? Wrong. In that moment I didn’t know what was going to happen between my cousins and I. I didn’t know that I would cry myself to sleep. I didn’t know that that was a small turning point in my life.

My problem started when my cousins were calling me very rude names. Even now as I am typing this, I feel like crying! These names were names that family would not call each other, names that you wouldn’t even say to your enemy. I’m not sure why I did it, but I started calling them names too. Each night I would cry and ask myself why was this happening. I wanted help, but I didn’t want to get my mom involved. This kept going on and on and until I realized, this is very childish, and I need to put a stop to this.

I deleted my account the next day. I don’t even talk to my cousins as much today. This experience has opened my eyes to a whole new perspective. I may not be that popular girl who posts pretty pictures of herself on MySpace, but I’m more than that. I’m the type of girl who can wake up and enjoy life everyday, without checking her phone! Don’t get me wrong; having a social networking account is fun and all. But do you honestly need to go to a website and find out about the lives’ of others? You should worry about your life and live it at the best.

99joselyn said...
Please vote 5 stars!!!!

ILoveReading said...
Well done! I hope you publish more on Teen Ink. I like your writing style!

99joselyn replied...
Thank you so much! For some weird reason, I was not able to see your comment until now! Please vote five stars on my two other poems!