It's Not What You Know it's Who You Know | Teen Ink

It's Not What You Know it's Who You Know

December 21, 2012
By LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska
LillieTang SILVER, P Sherman, Nebraska
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

During ancient times, such as in the Tang and Song dynasties of China, one's job, rank, or status was based upon his or her knowledge or skill level. However, over the course of time that custom has become nearly extinct. Currently, there is an alternate method of hiring someone for a job or choosing where someone ranks for a specific activity. Hiring employees is usually based upon who someone knows rather than what they know.

Biased decisions have become particularly common today. For example, a person may be hired for the occupation of sports coach simply because he or she is friends with the gym manager. This person, who has a relationship with the gym manager, could lack the skill and knowledge to be an employee considerably. In spite of this, that person is still hired simply because of who they know. Another person may have applied for the same job. This person has more than the needed skill and knowledge for this job. Yet he or she doesn't get hired due to the fact that he does not have a personal relationship with the manager.

Many consequences can result from biased decisions. Relating back to the previous paragraph, the incompetent person who was hired to be a sports coach now has a very important position that can greatly affect the welfare of many people. The previous job example is a perfect mode. A person who is a gym coach has the responsibility to ensure that his or her athletes are working in a safe environment and that they don't get injured. However, in the event that a person who is not qualified to be a sports coach is hired for the position of sports coach, the likeliness of the athletes getting injured is increased significantly.

In conclusion, basing decisions upon personal relations can lead to negative events. Therefore, people should recognize the frequency of biased decisions and make efforts to reduce them. It is unscrupulous for someone to acquire something they don't deserve simply because of an existing relationship with another.