Sandy Hook Elementary: School Shooting | Teen Ink

Sandy Hook Elementary: School Shooting

By rachelchace DIAMOND, Stratford, Connecticut
rachelchace DIAMOND, Stratford, Connecticut

"If everyone were perfect, Individuality would be extinct." -Rachel Chace (me)

Tragedies are born out of evil, but heroes emerge. Unfortunately not many heroes can save themselves. Though when tragedy strikes it doesn't really hit you until you see it with your eyes. It doesn't sting your skin until its nails dig at your spine. Each day there is a silent battle between good and evil. And today, Friday December 14th, evil won.
How could anyone do such a thing? How could some
one take the lives of a single child, let alone twenty innocent little children. How corrupt must one be to even pick up a gun with the intent of murdering mere babies. What did they do to you Adam? They were only six and seven, they didn't deserve to die. But they did, because of you they will never have the chance to grow old. Their families will mourn each year over the loss of a daughter, a son, a sister, and a brother, nieces, nephews, friends and neighbors. Children who had countless years ahead of them now lifeless at the prime of their childhood. I can ask myself countless times, what kind of person would do such a thing. But I've realized that as an answer I will never find. And no matter how many times I wonder and ask why such a thing has happened, it frustrates me to know that I simply cannot turn back time.
No matter how much love those parents have for their children, it will not bring them back to life. I cannot sleep at night picturing those children, so young, innocent, and beautiful. I imagine how scared they must have been, how quiet they tried to keep, and how well they tried to hide motionless. Those poor little babies, those who still live today have now tainted images and memories at such a young age. Pictures we cannot erase from their minds, too young to part this earth, too young to watch their best friends die. How can we make this better? How can we cope with a tragedy so close to home. I live in Connecticut, thirty minutes from Newtown. It scares me to think this could've been my town, my elementary school, my nieces my nephews my cousins sisters brothers family friends. And more than anything I am thankful that I have my family and they are safe. But I mourn for the children who never had that chance. I mourn for the families who have experienced the most dreadful pain of all , the loss of a family member, a child nonetheless.
It is only human to wish such realities did not exist, it is the ripple effect. One thing affects another and the dominoes keep crashing down until they have all fallen to the ground. It's crazy how many lives were effected by this tragedy and how much sadness now rests in its thought.

These are my thoughts on the school shooting in Newtown, CT on December 14th 2012. 27 innocent people lost their lives just thirty minutes from my hometown. 20 of those deaths were that of children. 7 were teachers who died attempting to save the lives of children.

Jaxon said...
Great essay, but there was six teachers killed. It is not seven.