Definition Essay | Teen Ink

Definition Essay

Success, a seven letter word with a dictionary definition that does not emphasize the accurate meaning of the word. In the dictionary it states success means “The attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.” The dictionary's definition only portrays a small portion of its real definition. When people interpretate an example of a successful person, the first thing that comes to mind is someone who is famous and has endless amounts of money. But, what it really means is someone who is passionate about their the people who look up to him or her, and cares for them. Considering they are the ones who are responsible for the person's sucess. Success is not only about having lots of money, fame, and popularity, it is moreover about the integrity the successful person has towards the people who look upon him or her, the respect the person gives them, and the appreciation given to the successful person.

In order to be successful, you must be able to possess what is called integrity. Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles. Successful people have to be honest with themselves and their peers, in order for a population to respect them. For example, if the president was to not be honest with his or her country and the people living within it, he or she either could get impeached from their job or lose a multitude of fans for straightforward lying to them or doing a dishonest deed to cause the once supporters, to dislike the president. Under any circumstance, being successful should not be taken for granted; most of the celebrities do not appreciate what they have when they become rich and famous and tend to forget they could be living worse lives. A numerous amount of them are oblivious and they believe they deserve more than what they already have. Additionally, true success should moreover be about the respect and appreciation you get by a population of people.

Being successful is also about the respect and appreciation by others, showing they envy the person. When a person is successful, they want to acquire appreciation by their peers in order to become popular among them. The more respect the person receives from the public, will cause a greater extent of popularity. An abundant amount of successful figures were successful due to the cause of their popularity with the society they live in. Success grows throughout the years, people do not become successful in a matter of days or even weeks, it takes a few years to get to a high point of success. For example, actors and actresses usually do not become successful from their first movie; they become successful after acting in a handful of films, and become popular among the directors, casting agencies, and the population of people. Another example would be Justin Bieber. It took him a couple of years to get where he is today, having millions of fans and a successful music career. His career goes all the way back to when he posted videos on YouTube. His career grew as he was discovered and offered a record label then became successful throughout his first years of being a singer. Respect and appreciation are the key concepts of becoming successful person.

A number of people that are not famous, are successful as well. Society mainly believes in order to be successful a person has to be a wealthy, famous person; that is not accurately true. There are a vast number people that are considered successful and they are not rich and famous. For instance, a teenager in high school who gets straight A’s and is a good student is considered successful, since the person accomplished something. Another example would be a person winning the science fair. People appreciate them for having a favorable display of their science fair project and winning the science fair can be considered successful. You do not have to be wealthy and famous in order to be successful, people are blind by the fact believing the only way to be successful is to become a famous celebrity.

Success does not only have one definition, it has a stronger meaning and a multitude of different definitions. Even though the dictionary says it has a far less meaning consisting of only nine words, success is defined by other words as well as the general definition of success. Success is about integrity, respect, and appreciation.