A Friend Lost and Found | Teen Ink

A Friend Lost and Found

August 4, 2008
By Anonymous

If someone hurts you, cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

One of my best friends really liked a boy. This is when I lost her. In her words, "He broke my heart." Some people called her a drama queen; some told her she was being ridiculous, but some stood beside her.

I was one of the people that stood beside her. I was there the whole time telling her that everything would be ok, and treating her the way she wants to be, like a baby. That was one of the worst choices of my 7th grade life. I figured this out when three months later she still wasn't over it.

By now I had lectures from many people telling me to stop babying her. Although, what really brought me back to reality is when she said that she was going to write a letter to him telling him how she felt and how much he had hurt her.

Would have been the worst choice of her middle school life.

From that time on I did everything I could to make sure she didn't do anything of the sort. It took me a week to convince her it was a bad idea. She had already cried in front of him expressing her feeling for about an hour, and had other people tell him how sad she was. Neither changed anything.

The fact was though he couldn't change the way he felt. He just didn't like her that way anymore. But really, he just didn't want to hear about how much he had hurt her again. And he was being completely reasonable! I mean you're only thirteen years old for goodness sake!

During the next few weeks she had many disastrous ideas like the last, all of which took time, but in the end I convinced her were pointless.

In the end she figured out that she was being ridiculous, and that this had gone on way to long! She started flirting with every boy she sees again, and smiling, just because she felt like it.

Finally, my best friend was back.