American Vote | Teen Ink

American Vote

July 23, 2008
By Anonymous

This years presidential race has a new focus: young Americans. Candidates compete for their vote with such popular mediums as rock concerts and youth centered rallies; young people are being ask, What is at the top of your political list? Who will you support as this nations next leader? Their opinions are diverse. A strong leader? Political change? Safer environment?
What do I, as a young American, want this election season? Next year and next year and the year after?

I want to drive my car without skipping dinner for a week because gas prices are shooting up to ten and fifteen dollars a gallon.

I want to stop worrying about my income, if I’ll be able to survive with such added expenses as mandatory health insurance.

I want the war to stop; no more casualty reports, no more pointless death. I want to be able to read the news headlines without a sinking feeling in my stomach. Will we begin this all over again? Will Iran become another Iraq, with more immediate and dire consequences?

I want to fly on a plane without being abused and humiliated; my belongings riffled by a stranger.

I want to step into the grocery store and be able to afford vegetables, a cut of meat. Milk and cereal.

I want to pursue the things I’m passionate about, the things I’ve dreamed of doing since I was twelve. The things impossible in a severely broken economy.

I want to laugh. I want to be able to buy a new dress. I want to be free of fear that the best years of my life will be lived in a country struggling for breath, smothered and crushed by economic depression and war. I’m tired of worry and frustration as I see decisions made by politicians who are immune from the consequences.

Each candidate is setting himself up as a leader for young America, expanding on policy they think will attract the substantial vote of the younger generation. As the president of the United States, one of these candidates will get the chance to put his plans in motion. Will we get what we ask for? Will my generation carry the burden of foolish leadership in a broken country?