Who Cares? The Truth About Global Warming | Teen Ink

Who Cares? The Truth About Global Warming

"So-called 'global-warming' is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer and more livable. Don't let them get away with it!"

-Chip Giller

Founder of Grist.org

Well, I found this quote printed upon a cardboard cup full of steaming vanilla latte from a Starbucks at the airport in Atlanta. This is possibly one of the most wonderful quotes I've ever found, and it made me smile even though my plane was delayed by two hours, thus putting me in somewhat less than the best of moods. In my opinion, this quote is not only clever sounding, but strikes a fair point as well: What does it honestly matter if global warming exists or not?

The fact is that everything suggested to help counteract the effects of global warming is good for everybody. It will ultimately make things cleaner, cheaper, safer, more efficient, etc. In other words, a heck of a lot better. I'm not writing this blog to attempt to prove to you all that global warming really does exist. That's not my point. Why argue against the existence of global warming when it's at the very least enlightening us to what should be done in our world anyway? What does it hurt to reduce carbon dioxide emissions? What harm would it do to find a cheaper, cleaner alternative to gas?

In my opinion, the existence of global warming is irrelevant: there are some things that just need to be done, whether or not the planet we occupy is rapidly being encased in a veritable blanket of fumes and pollution that will eventually cause a drastic increase in global temperatures. Don't ignore some amazing suggestions that will lead to the betterment of our way of life just because you don't believe in global warming. That's called bigotry, mates, and all it means is that you're denying yourselves, those around you, future generations and the world itself something good because you're too prideful to change.

www.grist.org

http://www.dosomething.org/causes/global_warming

http://www.weedenco.com/welling/Global%20Warming.gif