Threatening Problem Around the Globe-- Global Warming | Teen Ink

Threatening Problem Around the Globe-- Global Warming

June 15, 2008
By Anonymous

Global warming has been a controversial issue around the whole world. The reason is that global warming is followed by the melting of polar ice sheets, resulting in flooding. This will affect people in all walks of life. For instance, Hong Kong will be seriously affected if the sea levels rise. A large part of Central and Kowloon, as well as the airport and Mass Transit Railway systems would disappear. The consequence would be disastrous.

As we all know, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide and chlorofluorocarbons are the major greenhouse gases in the air. With high concentration of these gases, the problem of global warming begins to arise. Apart from meteorological hazards, water resources, agricultural development, as well as physical environment will also be affected. For instance, high temperature may lead to climatic anomalies like disastrous floods and drought.

With a view to safeguarding the interests of our next generation, we need to take appropriate measures to cut down the emission of greenhouse gases. International cooperation is essential for co- ordination and enforcement. The more developed countries should deliver appropriate knowledge and technology to the less developed regions for the prevention of further climatic warming. The Kyoto Protocol is one of the good international agreements made. What we mean by global collaboration is that, the less developed countries should try to minimize their emissions because this is not only the responsibility of the more developed countries.

In addition, every government can play a role in dealing with this matter. It can encourage the use of more energy efficient vehicles, appliances and industrial systems. Besides, it can develop and use environmentally friendly power resources like nuclear power, hydro- electric power and solar power. Moreover, individuals’ contributions are also significant and mass actions can make a difference. We should all switch off any electricity using appliances that are unnecessary, take public transport, and most importantly, maintain a positive attitude towards energy conservation. Only by working hand- in- hand can we reduce the impact of global warming on the world.