Education: the solution to poverty | Teen Ink

Education: the solution to poverty

Every twenty-nine seconds, an American high school student drops out of school. That equals six thousand students a day. Contrasted to those dropping out of school, are 115 million impoverished teenagers around the world dreaming of just being able to attend it.

Of the 115 million who cannot go to school, about three fifths are girls. This is because in various countries families put a bigger emphasis on educating boys than girls. In many cultures, gender discrimination is so deeply rooted that the concept is not thought of as sexist, but as practical and traditional.

“Schools shouldn’t have discrimination. They should welcome everyone with open arms.” Suggests Sarah Pemberton, a freshman.

The United Nations has made some progress on this issue. They plan to achieve equal privileges to school by 2015. To have all children attend school, it would cost $10 billion a year, which is only half of what Americans spend on ice cream annually.

“If no one was educated, we would have no new technology.” Freshman Brandon Lewis remarks.

Indeed, educated children are more likely to bring about constructive change and make a better world for themselves as well as everybody else. Education itself can help end poverty.