Secret Failure | Teen Ink

Secret Failure

By ButterflyGirl1313 PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona
ButterflyGirl1313 PLATINUM, Phoenix, Arizona

"..and these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, they are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through.." -David Bowie

I am a failure. I have an F and in the handbook it clearly states, F is for failing. According to the dictionary someone who is failing is in fact a failure. I am a failure. I have never been a failure before nor have I ever fathomed it possible. Sure it happens to other people all the time but not me. Never me. I’ve never thought of myself as a failure before. I never had a reason to. But now sitting here, with the bold printed grade of a failure staring me in the face, I have a reason. I don’t know whether it’s the subject itself or possibly the way it’s being taught but either way it reflects on me. And believe me when I say my reflection is not pretty. I’m not sure how to handle this since I’ve never been confronted with a situation like this before. I can’t tell my friends, Honors students and overachievers that they are, I would be too embarrassed. If they can do it why can’t I? Why do I put in the same amount of effort and get back three times lower grades than they do? No, I definitely can’t tell them. Could I tell my teachers? The ones that look at me as their star pupil as if I have the potential they’ve always sought out in their students? No I can’t; I wouldn’t be able to handle the disappointment in their eyes as they realize their star has fallen. And my parents who see me and see all the things they never had? I could never tell them, the shame I feel on my own is enough. All these people looking up to me, counting on me, admiring me. All these people and not a one among them knows... I am a failure.