Passion is Priceless | Teen Ink

Passion is Priceless

By Danaite Hamnot SILVER, Springfield, Virginia
Danaite Hamnot SILVER, Springfield, Virginia

“Because if we storytellers don’t do this, then the bad people will win” –Christiane Amanpour. Although some perceive journalism as a dying art, Amanpour epitomizes exactly why I would dive into this career. It’s a rare craft that lends itself to publicizing the truth, and if wrongdoings aren’t presented, it only prolongs the problem; I would like to use journalism to exploit social issues ranging from underprivileged education to teen trafficking. Although there’s immense pressure to excel in hopes of becoming college-bound, to me journalism has felt completely genuine in school. After experiencing my first exhilarating rush of deadlines- I was hooked. I’ve discovered this process completely rewarding through working for my high school newspaper, and realize I truly want to be at the forefront of where issues occur. Where passion overrides paychecks, I recognize the power to bring an issue to life with words is an emotional satisfaction I won’t get anywhere else. Pursing journalism is both intellectually stimulating and presents me with real world problems that can’t be resolved in a cubicle. Personally, the zenith of a profession is to better the world and journalism offers the opportunity to give voice to those who don’t feel they have one.