Passion is Priceless

“Because if we storytellers don’t do this, then the bad people will win” –Christiane Amanpour. Although some perceive journalism as a dying art, Amanpour epitomizes exactly why I would dive into this career. It’s a rare craft that lends itself to publicizing the truth, and if wrongdoings aren’t presented, it only prolongs the problem; I would like to use journalism to exploit social issues ranging from underprivileged education to teen trafficking. Although there’s immense pressure to excel in hopes of becoming college-bound, to me journalism has felt completely genuine in school. After experiencing my first exhilarating rush of deadlines- I was hooked. I’ve discovered this process completely rewarding through working for my high school newspaper, and realize I truly want to be at the forefront of where issues occur. Where passion overrides paychecks, I recognize the power to bring an issue to life with words is an emotional satisfaction I won’t get anywhere else. Pursing journalism is both intellectually stimulating and presents me with real world problems that can’t be resolved in a cubicle. Personally, the zenith of a profession is to better the world and journalism offers the opportunity to give voice to those who don’t feel they have one.