Beyond Superficial Appearances | Teen Ink

Beyond Superficial Appearances

June 15, 2012
By Noni1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other
Noni1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other
5 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Rarely do people reach out and go beyond the cover of a colourless book and even less make it past the first few pages. On the other hand, if a palpable book is picked up, it is much more likely to be opened and explored. Nowadays, people do not understand the importance of looking beyond superficial appearances. One glance and they feel that they know all. The famous proverb ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’ seems to be forgotten in the hassle of modern day. Instead, the world is now changing into a society with limitless time and endless opportunity but with neither to spare.
In India, an audacious man by the name of Mahatma Gandhi was not taken seriously and thought to be weak and altogether fragile. But it was his fortitude that resulted in driving the British out of India and gaining the country its independence. Years later, Martin Luther King Jr. was face to face with discrimination at one of its worst levels, to a point where the so called “white” and coloured people had to walk through different doors and wait in different lines. But this man looked beyond the system, out of the box, and decided to work for a movement that seemed dangerous and had little chance of ever making a difference. And it worked. Though he was not a big figure before the movement, he advocated and was successful in making others join it. Together with a strong personality by the name of Rosa Parks, he created the movement of the century.
It’s true that everyone shows their true colours at some point of time or another. But why wait for them to reveal these? It’s time for us to look beyond these superficial appearances and lives our lives as they are- crystal clear, without a hint of perplexity that has become a routine in our lives.


The author's comments:
I hope after reading this people will realize that looks aren't all.. There's a lot more than we can see to things and people.