Musings on the Interior of a Community | Teen Ink

Musings on the Interior of a Community

April 29, 2012
By Anonymous

Being a teenager myself in today’s society, I know what it is like to not feel a part of anything. To just sit at home and hum-dum around. But the truth be told, being part of something, anything, is an amazing possibility. For instance, I myself am a regular church attendee. I attend a Baptist church in my local community. However, I do not always feel a part of the community there; often times I feel ostracized and of little importance. Yet just being there can make all the difference to the one person that I greet every Sunday morning on my way inside. Just one tiny insignificant thing can make a world of difference. Little acts like these are what build community.

It’s hard for teenagers to feel a part of a community. But just sit down and think for a minute, really think, about what you have that you are thankful for. Those silly kids that aren’t necessarily your friends but make you laugh every day, that one teacher that never gives homework, a class you really enjoy, or coming home to your favorite meal being prepared. Everybody has a friend that they can rely upon: you just have to figure out who that person is.

Find what is right for you: whether it is an art club, church choir, a group of camping buddies, fellow photographers, or nerds to talk shop together. A community exists out there for anybody looking for it. Countless opportunities are available in this world; don’t let all the good ones pass by you. But also remember to be kind, for that is the essential part in being part of a community. As the famous classic Greek philosopher wrote “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”


The author's comments:
I have a couple friends who are having a trouble time with their own personal relationships and feeling a part of something. I didn't really understand at first, but after some though and writing out a bit, I have come to realize that (teenage) life is hard, but not impossible.