Society's perception of 'beauty' has ruined us all | Teen Ink

Society's perception of 'beauty' has ruined us all

By Meeep BRONZE, Sanford, North Carolina
Meeep BRONZE, Sanford, North Carolina

"Don't give up, I belive in you all. A person's a person, no matter how small." -Dr. Seuss

When you hear the word ‘beautiful’ what do you think of? Size double zero, long luxurious hair, tall, curvy, but nobody ever really acknowledges the beauty of the little things like the short, size eight, or as society claims ‘ugly’. Many teens struggle through everyday life because they don’t or can’t match up to what everyone else wants to see. So therefore, anyone different are considered ‘weird’, ‘freaks’, ‘ugly’, or ‘outcasts’. For anyone different they could become shunned, called names, pushed around, or physically harmed. (This is usually more of a guy thing). Either way it’s considered bullying. Most people that society deems ‘odd’ are just misunderstood, but that doesn’t stop them from being beautiful. Beauty has gone from personality based, to now only based on looks which really brings pain to those not blending in. Honestly everyone is beautiful and should be praised on their good traits instead of always being put down due to one little flaw. More than anything, it can lower your self-esteem to always have people tell you how ugly you are. A lot of people resort to self-harming, drugs or even worse suicide because of society. The public is so worried about how we look we’ve lost all interest in the true beauty of things. Personally, I’m tired of feeling horrible about myself because I have acne, or crooked teeth. I’m tired of being picked on and bullied because someone doesn’t like my hair, or my clothes. So, I will leave you with these last words of my wisdom:

Be gone bullies, you can’t tear me down anymore. Shut up society, I’m no longer worried about your ‘beauty’ because I know I am beautiful and if anyone tells me different I’ll laugh in their face and say ‘Everyone is beautiful silly, and so are you’.

This just describes how i feel of societies constant reminders that i am ugly. And writing my feelings out has always been my perfect escape<3

nadia98 said...
on May. 28 2012 at 7:29 am
nadia98, Paris, Other
This is exactly my view on the matter. You should check out my article ' Beautiful'