Texting and Driving | Teen Ink

Texting and Driving

By David Dulaney SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
David Dulaney SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The most addictive pastime teens crave is texting. But texting transformed into something dangerous. This distraction averts the attention of the drivers where it is most needed, the road.

Teens on the roads are not paying attention to the roads. One in four American teens have texted while driving. This means that one of four teen drivers on the road isn’t paying attention to the road. Safe drivers now have the responsibility of dodging the weaving car hurling straight towards them. Paying attention to the road is thrown to the side as they pull out their phones to keep in touch with their friends and family over the safety of the other drivers. Teens know texting is distracting but don’t take the precautions to stop it.

Texting is a distraction teenagers shouldn’t risk doing. Crashes are the leading cause of death to teens from the age of fifteen to twenty years old. Teens don’t need more distraction when driving. Most teens are new to the road and have little experience when it comes to driving. Statistics have shown sixteen year old drivers are three times more likely to die in a motor vehicle crash than the average driver. Distractions like passengers in the vehicle, loud music, and watching a movie are key examples of distractions while driving. But overall texting is ranked the most dangerous.

Texting averts the attention from drivers when they need it the most. An easy solution to this problem is to turn the cell phone off and keep both eyes on the road.

Don't text and drive!