Connected but Farther Apart | Teen Ink

Connected but Farther Apart

By ReesesPeices BRONZE, Satellite Beach, Florida
ReesesPeices BRONZE, Satellite Beach, Florida

This is the information age, everything and everyone is wired. From your smartphone or home computer you can see the world, answer a question, or check Facebook in less than a second. You can even tap out a quick message to a friend or even call them. With all these connections, and the simplicity of doing so, how can we not communicate?
We don’t.
I’ve grown up in the “information age” and know how easy it is to tap out a quick text message to one of my friends, but, call me old fashioned, I still prefer to talk to them face-to-face. The younger generations are having a difficult time mastering the art of verbal communication. When I see the ridicules stories on the news about kids that text people sitting next to them of send tens-of-thousands of text messages in a month I just shake my head in disbelief. The lack of verbal communication that plagues today’s younger generations is disturbing. I know of six year olds that don’t know how to properly form words verbally and have no social skills whatsoever, I hear the stories from my mom and aunt who both work at a school that only educates kids from two to six years old. If kids of that age are already having trouble communicating verbally with other children, imagine what it will be like when they get older. The generation that is currently being raised will grow to become socially awkward and verbally inept, what will that do to current society.
As this trend continues to become progressively worse verbal communication might be completely eradicated in the near future. At that point those of us that are still alive that can communicate verbally might be thought of as strange.