The Variations of Fate | Teen Ink

The Variations of Fate

By TheKenoCatabay BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
TheKenoCatabay BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida

"Smile when it's raining, and when you're going through Hell, keep going" - Bear Grylls - Mud, Sweat & Tears

Think about something or someone that you were once, but are no longer, truly passionate about. Take about thirty seconds to recreate the memory in your mind as if it were yesterday….

Think about that special, defining moment. Think about the various possibilities of the event or relationship, and think about the absolute and unchangeable reality that is now forever a memory inside your mind. Do you cherish this memory, or is there a demon that still lays restless? Moreover…do you miss this?

Perhaps you thought about an old friend, or a childhood dream. If there were any enemy to be had in the universe, it would be time. It was time that was the ubiquitous demolisher of all possibilities, but time triggers a far greater entity: fate.

Think of that passionate memory again. At one point there was an absolute moment in which all of your efforts and opinions had the strongest influence on its outcome. Gradually, you were dealt a hand of cards with several different choices. Each of these choices led to an absolute fate – the multiple paths that were completely at the mercy of the beholder. Which one did you pick? Regardless, you have the lasting power to pick your fate, some of which are blatantly easier than others. However, time remains to be the eternal destroyer of these various fates, and the destroyer of all leftover options. Conclusively, all that remains is the fate that the beholder chose.

Think again of this passion. If you are pleased with the fate that overcame the rest, then God bless the peaceful soul. If the variation that occurred was not to your liking, then take heart and forgive yourself and your preferred fate’s betrayers. Once a man forgives himself for his wrongful choices, only then can he begin to salvage something—anything—out of the variation. Forgive, forgive, and forgive. Then at last, learn.

Now, perhaps the passion that you thought of is now so far off from time and space that it has little or no relevance to you or your character anymore. Indulgence in one’s memories is perhaps the purest of all drugs. Phone a friend, and laugh about it. Look at the sky, breathe in the free air, think of that lazy and childish memory and smile. These seemingly irrelevant memories may perhaps make up parts of your character that no one even knows. Do not even begin to think that you can ever truly understand everything about yourself, as that feat can only be accomplished in one million lifetimes or within the single death of the cleanest man.

Now, forget about that passionate memory for a moment. Think back one second, one minute, one hour, one day, one year, and one decade. Take back your life from one second ago, to your oldest memory…

You should have seen the things that you love, the ones that you have loved, and the countless enemies that can only make a good man smile.

Now, think of the future and the things that will come depending on fate. One day the aging man will consider his life from the start and watch it until the end, and every passion and pity, and every tear and triumph turns to frozen ashes in a welcoming whiteout.

Now. Think of right now. Think of all your current stress, and think of the variations of fate that you will be choosing from in the near future. Think hard, but choose before time minimizes your options. Don’t be destroyed by time just yet.

Once more, make an image of the elderly man, but imagine that this man is now you. Think of the stress that you once had, and think about the variations that you picked, and now look at the backs of your hands and observe where the fate that you chose has brought you. Now take back your life from your oldest memory to your newest. Think about your childhood, your adolescence, your prime, your loves, and your beloved. At last, the man dies at peace – rather than destroy, time takes him like an old friend.

Now think of that very first memory that I asked you to think about. Take it and lock it in your heart somewhere safe, where it will be cherished forever.

Now think of something or someone that you are currently passionate about. Think of your power. Think of your wisdom. Think of the variations of fate that you, and only you, will ultimately choose, and to an extent, become. The clock is always running, and you should always be tracing along. Eventually, you will meet your sacred enemy, and together you will see that time, the destroyer of unworthy fate, has also been the shaper of destiny all along.