Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

California was proven to have the most same-sex couples in the United States in 2011. Despite the fact that California does not allow same-sex couples the right to get married. The only states that have passed a law allowing gay marriage are Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, and New York. Couples who don’t live in these six states, and who are denied the right to marry, are denied so much more than just marriage. Gay couples do not receive the same rights that a man and women do. Gay couples do not get the chance to have family, medical, and employment benefits, as well as tax, veteran, and military benefits.
Gay couples who aren’t provided with family benefits are stopped from doing numerous amounts of things. Without being married you are not allowed to file as a stepparent of a child or even preform a joint adoption with your spouse. You are also not allowed to try and become foster parents of any children. In the event of a relationship ending, and having a child, you partner does not have to pay child support, but can not try for child custody and visitation of the child. It has been debated whether gay couples should have the right to adopt a child for some time now. Some say that if you are a girl growing up without a dad, you are at a higher risk of being sexually active earlier, and if you are a boy without a mother you lack emotional security and the unique advice that mothers give. An article in Pediatrics, published on June 7th, 2010 said, “Children with lesbian mothers are rated higher than children with heterosexual parents in social and academic competence and had fewer social problems.”(Nanette Gartrell) A study performed on July 10th 2010, found that children of two gay fathers were as well-adjusted as those adopter by a heterosexual parent.
A huge right that same-sex couples aren’t given because they aren’t allowed to marry is medical benefits. You’re not allowed to visit your significant other if they are in a hospital’s intensive care unit at all, and you’re not allowed to visit during restricted visiting hours in other parts of the hospital. If you are a same sex couple you can visit your spouse anytime you would like. If your partner is incapacitated and unable to decide what he/she wishes as a treatment, you’re not allowed to make medical decisions for them. It is completely unfair to deny these rights to people because their relationship isn’t approved and doesn’t fit the states definition of one.
Another big right that is not offered to gay couples is employment benefits. Employment benefits are matters such as, companies that employ your partner do not have to give you, or your child health insurance. If your partner dies the retirement funds that they have collected over the years are not passed down to you, they will be given to another family member. They also include that you are not allowed to take personal days off to take care of your partner in the event of an accident or illness. It is costly to have to pay for your own health insurance rather then have a joint one with your partner.
There are more benefits that are denied to gay couples because their marriage was denied. Can you imagine being told that you are not allowed to marry the love of your life? Can you see how much that would hurt to hear? If it would hurt you then why is it okay to do to someone else. Living life without marriage is costly because of the lack of benefits that are not given to them. The Constitution states that everyone should be treated equally, but that isn't happening. I don't think its fair that people have to life their life without these benefits that help everyone else.