Who I Never Was | Teen Ink

Who I Never Was

By Floridagrl8 BRONZE, Centralia, Washington
Floridagrl8 BRONZE, Centralia, Washington

If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

I was never that "pretty" girl you see walking down the mall. The one with all the name brand clothes, and pedicure freshly done on their nails. The one every guy wants to date; the skinny one.

I was a chubby set girl, with my hair always set back in a ponytail; Relaxed. I participated in sports, but wasn't good enough to be noticed or recalled for it. I didn't have very many friends, but I had a couple friends that were close to me. I got along with everyone, and was even nice to the people who stabbed me in the back.

Finally I got sick and tired. Tired of all the crap people were putting me through. Tired of being the chubby one, who everyone made fun of. The one that a guy would rather die than to go out with; to save his reputation. People didn't think I understood what was going on around me. But I did. Nobody looked on the inside of me. They just criticized me, for how I appeared on the outside. It's time for a change.

I worked out. Ate healthier, and exercised more intensely. I had a goal; and nobody was going to stop me from reaching it. I dropped weight slowly but steadily as the months of the year passed. I wasn't getting made fun of anymore, I wasn't the target. People were starting to see the true me. I felt.. Great.

I fit in those designer clothes, I had those nails "prettied" up at the salon.. But was this what I wanted? Did I WANT to watch every ounce of food I put in my body? To go to bed hungry knowing my goals would be reached? No.... that's what my peers wanted. I stopped.

I want to live my life as me. Who cares if I'm 130lbs or 350lbs?! I don't want to be a follower of some "beautiful" girl. I'm Original. Take me or Leave me, but no matter what, I'm gonna keep my head held high. As beautiful me

I live in a small town, where everybody knows everybody. As the years have passed the people who made fun of me, have matured and so have I. I have many more friends than before. Hey, and I don't even have to do a thing. Except be myself.

on May. 9 2012 at 1:12 pm
Me22895 DIAMOND, Azle, Texas

If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

I enjoyed your piece, but I felt as if the conclusion was unfinished. You state that you changed your ways back to being more carefree, but it might help to go onto detail some, and talk about your friends and outlook on life now, your new habits after curtailing your weight loss regime.