Save Me (Teen Suicide) | Teen Ink

Save Me (Teen Suicide)

By Courtney Eckley BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
Courtney Eckley BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

In America, 1 out of 5 teens commit suicide. Eight out of ten teens who commit suicide try to get help or seek attention from a family member, friend, or even a teacher. Sometimes desperate teens don’t receive enough love and they turn to the pills, the hand gun, and the rope to fix their tortured lives. Teens kill themselves because they give up, when they can’t take it anymore.
“When a teen commits suicide, family, friends and the community all think “What could i have done to stop this?” says Dr.’s from popular health website Kid’s Health. When a teen kills themselves all is affected. Not just the teen themselves. People don't know how to morn to someone who gave up. Doctors also say that teens that are going through major life changes (parents' divorce, moving, a parent leaving home due to military service or parental separation, financial changes) and those who are victims of bullying are at greater risk of suicidal thoughts.

Sometimes struggling with homosexuality is a hard thing to overcome especially with a family that doesn't support that decision.“It gets better. People are here for you, people who care and understand. This may be the darkest time in the world for you, but you need to understand that there is hope,” stars Anne Hathaway, say in the new PSA “It Gets Better.”

A tragedy hit Coppell, Texas in the year 2008 when a senior killed herself on the swing set of a playground. Two Years later, the mayor of Coppell killed herself and her daughter. "Whatever happened, I don't understand," The mayor’s neighbor Lanni said. She is right, teen suicide is a very hard thing to understand. It is difficult and confusing to think of a family member, a friend, or even a person in your class to just give up. To turn off the light and just die out.

So I challenge you, if you notice that your friend has been going through a really hard time. Take care of them because I’ve been in that citation all I wanted was someone to take care of me. Someone to talk to, someone that I could rely on, someone to save them from themselves. If you are the person that is struggling and think there is no more hope. You think no one is going to listen. Just know someone out there will listen and save you.

on May. 9 2012 at 1:27 pm
Me22895 DIAMOND, Azle, Texas

If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Where on earth did you get the statistic 1/5 of all teenagers commit suicide (as in die, not just attempt)? Just by googling it, I found that as of 2004 (not the most recent but still), only 7.32% of people ages 10-24 (which invludes teens and some pre and post tennage individuals). Thats a big discrepency; Less than 8% (me)vs., 20% (you); that's more than double! I am not denying your static, but tell me your source if you would because it sounds unrealistic.