What is Happiness? Is it the Same as Success? | Teen Ink

What is Happiness? Is it the Same as Success?

By marissalovessprinkles GOLD, Castro Valley, California
marissalovessprinkles GOLD, Castro Valley, California

What is happiness? I often find myself asking that question. But never aloud. Sometimes I feel that people, especially us kids, value the idea of happiness too much. I think we associate happiness with success. That it is important to be wealthy, famous, have a prestigious profession, do better than everyone. However, does that really define success? Or happiness? Success: according to the dictionary, it is “the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.” Which means that becoming wealthy, famous, or better than everyone may or may not fit into that category. Happiness, according to the dictionary, is “contentment.” Now think. Are they really the same? So many people can be “successful.” High paying profession, well known, large house, many awards...you get the picture. Look at the movie stars. Famous people in general. Is happiness the same thing? I say no. Some of them keep buying and buying and buying, winning awards, but they aren’t happy. One guy bought a dinosaur skull he had so much money he didn’t know what to do with it. But the reason they buy and buy is because they aren’t CONTENT. They have not reached the feeling of contentment, and thus buy things to fill this void. So sure, they are successful, in terms of material goods. They are not, however, happy.

I want to find an answer to this question and help others see that happiness and success can be two very different things.