Never Grow Up | Teen Ink

Never Grow Up

When I was younger, all I wanted to do was grow up and move out of my parent's house. I could not wait to be out on my own!
My senior year of high school, it really hit me. This was it. It was about to be over. I cannot tell you how many times I cried over my future. I was so scared! I didn't want to leave! It was safe and comfortable at home.
I made the most out of my summer though. I hung out with my friends pretty much every day and made memories that will last a lifetime.
On August 13th, I moved into my new home: college. Everything was so different. I didn't have any rules. I didn't have anyone standing over me telling me what to do. I could do what I pleased. And trust me, I did. I pretty much bombed my first semester of college. I slept too much and stayed out too late and I didn't go to class and do my work. (bad idea by the way!)
And now looking back, I just wish I was home. With my friends, and family. I miss the simple things. Like going out to eat Mexican after church on a Wednesday night. Or sitting in the Wal-Mart parking lot, because that's all we had to do. I miss riding in the back of a truck and going down to the "bottoms" and swimming all day. Sure, I go back and visit. But I miss being there all the time. Even if it was boring.
Most of all, I wish being a little kid. I miss making cookies for Santa. I miss little league softball and basketball. I miss being small enough for my dad to carry me on his back. I miss coloring and learning my multiplication tables. I miss the days when my parents didn't fight. I miss the days before I found out that my Dad is a pothead. I miss having money to spend, instead of scraping up every penny that we can find. I miss the days of pure happiness. I wish I had never grown up.

Just some thoughts running through my head. Though some of you could relate. (: