STOP Bullying | Teen Ink

STOP Bullying

By Alexine BRONZE, Curacao, Other
Alexine BRONZE, Curacao, Other

Hi, my name is Alexine and I like to write short stories. I’ve already completed several projects, but I’ve been thinking about trying something totally different for a while now. My dream is to become a writer some day which means that I need to be able to write about anything and everything.

That’s why I started this blog. The idea is to write short stories and/or articles about whatever topics that peeks my interest at that moment and post them. The topic I’ve chosen to start with is:

Bullying and why I think it should just stop.

Now I must admit that I have personally never been bullied (and I hope I never get bullied either off course!).

However, I can't say the same for others. I always hear and read stories about kids and adults that get bullied and some of them even end up killing themselves or hurting others.

This really bothered me and I figured it might help me better understand if I did some research and then write my personal opinion about it.

Below you can read 2 different cases concerning bullying, my personal opinion and tips on what to do if you ever get bullied.

Case number 1:

This case is about a 13 year old boy who hanged himself after being bullied on the internet on a site called Bebo.

The 13 year old boy was discovered dead on June 5th 2007. He had hung himself because he was constantly being bullied on the internet. He was bullied just because he liked Emo music, wore black clothing and had long hair. This was apparently what attracted the bullies. These kids kept bullying him and he was too scared to tell his parents. So he kept it all inside until he couldn't take it any longer. He believed there was no way out and that the only solution to his problem was suicide and he hung himself.

Everybody was devastated. His parents kept wondering why he hadn't gone to them for help. Till this day they still regret that their son had opted to kill himself rather than reach out for help.

Case number 2:

This was a 14-year old teen who was teased for being gay, which also happened to be true.

The 14 year old tells how he was heart broken because everybody looked at him like he was some kind of monster. He described how he used to cut himself all the time to relieve the pain he felt. Thoughts of suicide was also constantly on his mind.

Thankfully he didn't go through with it.

Instead he made a video in which he recounted everything that had happened to him since his secret was out.

In the video he even shows some of the scars that will remain as silent reminders of his self-inflicted cuts.

He explained that the bullying started when he was in the first grade and continued on till the eight grade. But in the end he decided to fight back.

His exact words were: “I'm not going anywhere, because I am stronger than that. I have a million reasons to be here”.

Now for my take on all of this:

In the case of the 13 year old boy I feel bad that this boy believed he had no other way out but to take his own life because of that stupid internet-site.

And as for the second case, I stand by that boy a 100 percent. I’m glad he didn't let the bullying get to him. I'm sure it wasn't easy but he did it and most importantly, he proved that we can all do it, we just have to stand our ground.

Now a few questions remains that I believe can never be answered adequately.

Why bully anyone?

Why make others feel bad in order for you to feel good?

Why break them?

Does it make you feel more powerful, do you gain anything from this power play? NO…I DON'T THINK SO.

So people please…STOP, I repeat STOP hurting others, because it's not worth it and it will only make you regret it in the future.

Here are some tips about what to do if you are ever bullied:

·Talk to someone, it can be your parents, a school teacher, a psychiatrist, a friend…anybody really, just as long as you talk to somebody.

·NEVER show them your weakness, no matter how much you feel like crying you just walk away.

·Confront a bully, because most of the bullies are also scared kids themselves.

·And lastly, protect yourself. If you can’t avoid bullies, make sure they never catch you by yourself.

Names were not mentioned in this column to protect their privacy.