Capital Punishment? | Teen Ink

Capital Punishment?

By loveroflife BRONZE, Port Deposit, Maryland
loveroflife BRONZE, Port Deposit, Maryland

to win you must be willing to do what others are not

This is my first article and it is about Capital punishment. I realize that Capital Punishment is a controversial issue and its something that needs to be addressed.

The first thing is that it is viewed by some people as cruel and unusual punishment. That may be the case but it solves the problem of a person committing a horrendous crime again. I mean it may be wrong to execute people but if we don't do that then they could get another chance down the road to kill or commit worse crimes.

In my opinion Capital Punishment is the solution to our problems. One reason is that it prevents criminals from taking peoples lives in the future. I know that i said it before but i will say it again because it is important. If these criminals aren't stopped then more and more innocent lives will be lost and one day those murders may hit close to home or home itself. If murders started to hit close to home everywhere than people would take justice in their own hands and it would be anarchy because the government said we cant kill the person.

There is another reason that i think it would be okay to use capital punishment. It would be the economic reasons. For starters when people go to jail it costs money to keep them in there. Who pays to keep them there? The taxpayers that's who. How much money is it costing people exactly? Well after doing thorough research it cost people on averagae about $79 a day to keep 1 prisoner in jail. 79 dollars for 1 person for 1 day is absolutely rediculous. If you think thats bad then the price tag of keeping that same single person in jail will probably anger you. It costs about $28816.75 to keep 1 person in jail for a year. We could buy a car with the money it costs to keep 1 individual in prison for a year. If they stayed in jail for 40 years like they usually do for people found guilty of murder then the price tag would come out to $1,152,670. That price is bad and it only covers the yearly cost of 1 prisoner. Given the inmate population in some prisons we could be spending half a billon dollars or more in keeping prisoners incarcerated alone. The United states has over 2 million prisoners so the cost of keeping them locked up for a year or even a week or a day is high and given the economic status our counrty is in we may be spending too much.

I mean when you compare it to some execution method like the firing squad it really doesnt make sense to keep prisoners that are dangerous and mass murderers alive. With the firing squad method all you need is five people five guns and four bullets. That cost is much less than the price of keeping prisoners behind bars so it may be better that way.

To be fair it may be inhumane to use capital punishment. However the cost of not using capital punishment may be more than we are willing to pay.

on Feb. 13 2012 at 9:42 am

thanks for the comment. i was worried about how it would turn out.

on Feb. 13 2012 at 8:32 am

true but peope dont really explain it.

on Feb. 12 2012 at 3:49 pm
JakeRyan221 BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida

"Offend the mind to expose the heart"

well spoken! i just wrote one on the same side as you. ( TeenInk.com/hot_topics/what_matters/article/430258/Capital-Punishment-Gods-Will-or-Cruelty-of-Man/ )very good points too. i didn't talk much about those because ther's so much on it, u know ?