What we think matters, and why it's wrong | Teen Ink

What we think matters, and why it's wrong

January 27, 2012
By screename4 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
screename4 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

I have realized, after watching the “Uncultured Project” on YouTube, that many Americans, especially children, are ungrateful, and take things for granted. Unlike many countries in which children are working hard, and not wasting time thinking about cell phones, and expensive clothes, American children are obsessed with the NEW American dream: having the most expensive things, the lowest GPA, and putting forth the least amount of effort in anything.

In many countries, children face many hardships. These children are forced to eat small amounts of food, work for family money at young ages, and take care of themselves. There is no “Oh honey, let me wash all of your clothes in our fancy machine, give you $100 worth of food, just so you can eat half to keep your figure.” No. Most of these kids would do anything to be able to live this way, and we EXPECT to live this way, and think it’s like that everywhere. It’s unbelievable how people can take things for granted like that. Some people will watch a video about it, claim that they feel bad for others, and then do absolutely nothing about.

According to childinfo.org 38.0% of the population in sub-Saharan Africa is child labor. Most of these are poor males between the age of 7 and 10.


There is a way we can change all of this. We need to drill into the minds of kids today that not everything is handed to everyone, and people should feel lucky for what they have. I guarantee you that if you give a freezing naked child in Africa a brand new Hollister sweatshirt; he’s not going to complain that it’s blue instead of “aqua”. Also, maybe children should do more things like fundraisers (like the Nerdfighters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzi2BNkyq7s. These people go around the world helping people and raising money for those in other countries that are less-fortunate. ) Children should do this so can get a better understanding of what the world is like outside of their mini-mansion they call a trashy building.