Dog-fighting | Teen Ink

Dog-fighting

January 10, 2012
By xxx_emily_xxx BRONZE, Fair Oaks, California
xxx_emily_xxx BRONZE, Fair Oaks, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Readers,

A dog is beaten and bloody, chains wrapped round its dirty neck as it’s brutally ripped to pieces for pure amusement. Crowds cheer as the defenseless animal’s last ragged breath leaves it’s body painfully yet, no one will morn for this creature. They will bath it’s body in vast amounts of blood-stained cash and drugs ultimately, giving the opponent a reward for the death it had caused. This is dog-fighting true nature in reality. Death, amusement, and abuse will seem to never leave the arena where disgusting individuals flock to, as a bee to honey. This “sport” is inhumane in may ways. Does being human mean we have to destroy everything, even our so called “ man’s best friend”.” Apparently people think its alright to see and cheer for their life-long and loyal companion ripped to shreds. Well, dog-fighting is not acceptable and should be punished and educated among today’s youth, and elders.

What is dog-fighting? Dog-fighting is a sadistic “ sport” where two dogs, specifically bred, fight to the death in an arena. The dogs are fought for spectators amusement and gambling. Fights usually go on for an hour or two, ending when the other animal cannot continue. Dog-fighting can be organized or unorganized in urban areas. It well known that dog-fighting can happen anywhere. It can even take place in your neighborhood and you wouldn’t know it or wouldn’t do anything. In my experience, I have witnessed a bloody and beaten pit-bull in the trash. I suspected dog-fighting in my area but did not report it. This I painfully regret.

More than what people know, Dog-fighting has a long and disturbing history. Dogs have fought in Roman colosseums. In 1835 it was outlawed in England by the Humane Act. In 1817, dog-fighting was introduced to America. Although, in 1860’s, most states had a felony offense against it, it dog-fighting was known as America’s past time by the early twentieth century. By all means, Dog-fighting still flourishes as if it where a weed in a garden. It can never entirely disperse unless we expand our knowledge to those who are fighting, support, and those unaware of events. Is this how we want America to be seen as? A country where animal companions are bloodied and beat for amusement, where there is not pity in store for even those in need of compassion?

It is estimated there are over 40,000 people involved in dog-fighting. Children in crime urban areas are exposed to this and eventually taught to relish the sport and to promote it. Public fights take place around the country and for many, they are family events. Martina, an eighth grader said, “ Family events shouldn’t be based on blood and pain. Abusing living creatures is wrong and shouldn’t be promoted as it is amount families. It’s just wrong.”

There are many ways people train to fight their dogs such as: The Treadmill where dogs are run on the treadmills to increase cardiovascular fitness and endurance. The catmill/jenny. It looks like a carnival horse walker with several beams jetting out from a central rotating pole. The dogs are chained to one beam and another small animal like a cat, small dog, or rabbit, is harnessed to or hung from another beam. The dogs run in circles, chasing the bait. Once the exercise sessions are over, the dogs are usually rewarded with the bait they had been pursuing. The springpole/jumppole is a large pole with a spring hanging down to which a rope, tire, or animal hide is affixed that the dogs jump to and dangle from for extended periods of time. This strengthens the jaw muscles and back legs. The same effect is achieved with a simpler spring loaded apparatus hanging from tree limbs. Drugs/vitamins/Supplements are where Dogs are given vitamins, supplements and drugs to condition them for or to incite them to fight. Commonly utilized vitamins, supplements, and drugs include: iron/liver extract; vitamin B-12; Provim; Magnum supplement; hormones (testosterone, Propionate, Repotest, Probolic Oil); weight-gain supplements; creatine monohydrate; speed; steroids (Winstrol V, Dinabol, Equipose); and cocaine. Not only, are these commonly used among people, you wouldn’t suspect someone that had some of these to be dog- fighters! Also the equipment used to train can be easily bought where people unaware would not now the usage of the materials being purchased and used.

The hardest thing to do is educate and convince people on this touchy subject, that dog-fighting should be reported no-matter-what.. Many people feel uncomfortable about this and there for will not do anything about it. Even though, many people are against dog-fighting many seem to not act. This is how you can! Partnering with programs that focus on stopping violence, Educating the public about animal cruelty and responsible pet guardianship,training youth and community leaders to take the message of compassion throughout their communities, and connecting pet owners to low-cost and free resources. People can spot signs of dog-fighting so, act upon your true feeling for compassion for the weak and unheard!


Sincerely,

Emily