Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By Tiara Lynch BRONZE, Carmichael, California
Tiara Lynch BRONZE, Carmichael, California

Dear Teen Ink,

Do you think bullying is okay? Well it sure is not and it is very shocking. It is not okay that kids & teens are committing suicide over being bullied at school. If you have a issue where someone is bullying you, or you see someone being bullied please tell someone. I know you wouldn’t risk your life . . so don’t risk someone else’s. Tell someone so they can get help.

First of all, teens are missing school because they are too scared that they are going to get bullied. Bullying is a problem that affects millions of students, and it has everyone worried. Bullying can effect anyone, but it takes courage to stand up to the bully and say stop & get away from me! More than 28% , the suicide rate for 10 to 24 years of age increased by 8%. That is a big jump. Bullying is not okay & we need to do something about it!

Teens and kids should stand up & say No! Many children face each school day overwhelmed by the fear of being harassed by other kids at their school. Statistics show that nationally up to 17% of kids and teens are being harassed and bullied by other kids at their school. An example is this guy named Ryan Halligan, and he committed suicide on October 7,2003. See this poor kid took his life because he was getting bullied at school, this is not acceptable at all!

Bullying has everyone worried. One of the most painful aspects of bullying is that it is relentless. Most people can take it once, of teasing or name calling. When it goes on and on, it can put a person in constant fear. Studies show that kids and teens who are abused by their peers are at risk for mental heath problems, such as low self esteem and stress. I have been a bully, and have been the person bullied. Both of these are really horrible. But still it is not that serious that you have to take your life away. I wish you would have thought twice, before making that awful decision.

Bullying is a problem that affects millions of students of all races and kinds. 1 out of 4 kids are bullied and 43% have been bullied online. Child, teen, and cyber bullying are at an all-time high. Some kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them. Do you think this okay? If you don’t . . we could solve this by doing something about it!

Sincerely ,

Tiara Lynch