The Insight of a Child | Teen Ink

The Insight of a Child

December 14, 2011
By DarkAcey BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
DarkAcey BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

It’s funny to think about life through the eyes of a child. What a woman sees as a ratty rag, a little girl sees as a blanket for her doll. What a man sees as an overgrown lawn, a little boy sees a jungle to explore. The possibilities are endless, the world is simple. Every problem is solved with a kiss, a cookie, and a Band-Aid. So why is it as humans grow up, they must lose the insight of a child?
Imagine a world where the philosophies of children ruled. There would be no war because they like their arms, legs and peaceful dreams. There would be no malicious lying, stealing or bullying because they don’t want coal. There would be no discrimination because everyone has two eyes, a nose, a mouth and a pair of ears, arms and legs. What more do they need to enjoy the world?
Money is pretty green pieces of paper, stacked to build houses and folded to make planes. Offices are shiny towers to play hide-and-seek in. Newspapers are used to make silly hats, more airplanes and papier-mâché balloons. Economics is board games, where everyone has an equal chance to win. Politics is a game of follow-the-leader, where it doesn’t matter where we go as long as we sing.
Who wants to disagree with logic such as this? Who wants to be “realistic”, when it only seems to lead to alcoholism and depression or worse? The adults! The ones who have lost their innocence and forgotten what simple, pure happiness feels like. Their happiness comes from bottles, gossip, and gas. What’s pure about that? Idiocy appears to be the only answer.
It is time to return to our roots, to remember the days when one man’s trash is a little boy’s treasure. Stop reminiscing days past and follow the insight of a child. Don’t look back, only move forward to find the next big game, meet new friends, and make memories to last a lifetime.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for This I Believe, but it doesn't quite meet their qualifications so I decided to share it on Teenink. Truly the world would be a better place if we were all treated as 2-year-olds.