This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

December 9, 2011
By Essielong20 SILVER, Conifer, Colorado
Essielong20 SILVER, Conifer, Colorado
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
In The end everything will be ok, if its not ok its not the end


Have you ever had something you really wanted to do but it seemed impossible? Like skydiving, bungee jumping, or maybe a cure for cancer? Something you dream about, that you cant get out of your mind? That seems to haunt you in your sleep because it looks completely impossible to you? You can accomplish anything as long as you try, This I believe.

I’m a 14 year old teenage girl in my first year of high school. In middle school I slacked off a lot. Didn’t pay attention in class, never studied for tests, and doing my homework was a rare thing. It was 4th quarter of my 8th grade year, and finals were right around the corner, history and science were the ones I had to pass, I had to, it seemed like my life depended on it. Honestly, I was positive I couldn’t do it, what’s the point in studying for something you know you will not pass? Yet I studied anyways. Every night I would sit there for what seemed like an eternity, reading old papers, going over flash cards, trying my very hardest to learn this information so I could pass finals. Exam day comes and I feel like I’ve forgotten everything I studied. I take the test to find out, I passed, all that work did pay off in the end.

Working hard to accomplish something happens to everyday people, in big and small ways. It could be saving up your money so you can buy an ipod, or cleaning your room so you can go to a friends house. It happens to us, but it also happens to the world. In 1969 something came into existence that many people thought would be impossible. Landing a man on the moon safely? No chance. Yet science worked their hardest, testing different things trying to get this right, and finally they did. July 21st of 1969 was the day Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, the thing man thought was impossible, became reality.

Working your very hardest can change lives, or it could change the world. People set goals and have dreams every day, yet a lot stop trying, they give up, it could be hard or too much work. If you push through the hard times you can get to the better days. Band is like that, every other day we are outside marching for hours. We spend our Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm rehearsing just to play a few shows. It’s hard and many times you say you want to quit or ask yourself what am I doing here? In the end, when you see what all this work you’ve done creates, it’s one of the best feeling in the world.

A lot of pride comes with accomplishing your goals. I bet Martin Luther King was proud after he gave his “I Have A Dream” speech, Barak Obama was proud when he heard he was elected for president. When we complete something we thought would be impossible, we feel better. Life is full of challenges, how you take them determines if you win, or the challenge wins. Don’t back out of things because they get too hard or seem to be hopeless, try your best and you could change the world. You can accomplish anything, as long as you try, this I believe.