What Matters | Teen Ink

What Matters

December 4, 2011
By cityandtaylour BRONZE, Tamarac, Florida
cityandtaylour BRONZE, Tamarac, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I don't really want people looking to me for inspiration. I just want to be a sign along the way that points toward Heaven."


In this day and age, it is truly difficult to remember what really matters in the world. The press tells us that what matters the most is popularity, fame, fortune, the newest clothing style, being skinny, looking flawless, being perfect, and that having a boyfriend/girlfriend is the only way to true happiness. None of this matters in the end. It does not matter what you look like on the outside, but how it looks on the inside. 1 Samuel 16:7, “But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

These days, there are girls and guys that believe there is no purpose for them in this world, and they try hurting themselves, or even worse, attempt or accomplish a suicidal mission. In 2007, suicide was the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24. Nearly five times as many males as females ages 15 to 19 died because of suicide. In 2004, a total of 2,389 people died of suicide in Florida. Florida had the highest amount of deaths in 2004. Don’t you think if just one person reached out to one of these suicidal people, that they would still be alive to this day? I have a huge heart for hurting teens, and as a Floridian, looking at these statistics almost brings me to tears. There are so many people these days that ignore others because of the way they look or act. If you see someone sitting alone, go talk to them. You never know, you could end up saving someone from death.

All this world needs, is people that aren’t afraid to leave their comfort zone, and stick up for what’s right. We must not care what others think; when it comes to standing up for what you believe, that’s all that matters. While reading this, did someone come to your mind that you know you need to reach out to? If someone did, that’s the Holy Spirit tugging at your heart and telling you to go reach out. With God, all your worries and cares go away. 1 Peter 5:7, “Cast all of your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.”

The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this article because people need to know that other people are hurting, even if it looks like they aren't. I have a heart for people my age that are going through difficult times. I hope people will have a change in mind and stick up for what they believe in, even if others make fun of them for it.