Bus drivers abuse rights? | Teen Ink

Bus drivers abuse rights?

November 21, 2011
By ItsmeSunshine SILVER, Spanaway, Washington
ItsmeSunshine SILVER, Spanaway, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius


When driving by my high school in the morning, anyone can notice a group of adults smoking across the school. Many have questioned if it is appropriate to do this so near the school.

These men and women are the bus drivers taking their breaks after dropping off their designated routes to the high school. Within the contract that bus drivers hold with the district, it states that they are allowed to have a fifteen-minute break after their stops to each school. Although this is a right, is it appropriate for them to be smoking right across from the school every morning?

After an interview with the Principal, she admits that she has no jurisdiction against the men and women.

“I would have rather not have them take their breaks there, but I have no choice,” she said.

Public school employees’ rights are protected, and no persons can go between their contracts with the school district. However, the question is whether or not it is ethically right to smoke in sight of many students during school hours. Is this setting the right example for students that are merely passing by the bus drivers?

An anonymous senior commented on the bus drivers’ behavior, “I believe it is not appropriate to smoke in the sight of students. The school says that they are trying to create a safe and healthy environment, yet their employees are sending the wrong message.”

“It’s cool. I don’t mind,” junior Oscar said.

An anonymous sophomore agreed, “It doesn’t affect me, so I don’t mind.”

Whether appropriate or not, the public school employees have a right to take a smoke break. No persons have jurisdiction that will reach beyond their contracts. The true seriousness of the situation is in the eye of the beholder.