Money Buying Happiness | Teen Ink

Money Buying Happiness

By Alexis Forest BRONZE, Johnston, Iowa
Alexis Forest BRONZE, Johnston, Iowa

Does money buy happiness? I know of several people that would say yes, no, and some people that would say yes and no. I am personally stuck on yes and no.

There are many reasons why people would say yes. Kids often need money to buy toys, electronics, other games, etc. These things make them happy. They like these things. For adults, some like books, education for kids, and television. All of this costs money. It’s what they want. That is what brings them happiness. Many people would argue with this though.

What makes people think that money doesn’t bring happiness? Well, there are many people in this world that live happily without money. Lots of times, you see one person on the side of the road with no money. I’ve seen a whole family like that. The difference is they weren’t asking anyone for anything. I think that if that one person was surrounded by loved ones, he/ she wouldn’t need anything else. Family, friends, and other loved ones bring happiness. There is nothing else in the world that could make me happier than being surrounded by those that I love. That’s why I think people think that money doesn’t bring happiness.

Why would someone be stuck between yes and no? One of those people would be me. I am stuck in between because I don’t need money to make me happy. I have my family and friends for that, but I do need money for transportation. My family and friends are scattered in many areas, and I need transportation to let me see them. There are a lot of people in the world that may be short on money, but they are surrounded by loved ones, so they are happy. My stepdad once said, “We may be short on money, but it doesn’t matter because I get to see the smile on your (my 2 brothers, my baby sister, and I) faces. I know you are happy, and that’s all that matters.” I liked it when he said this, because it made me feel special. Everyone needs someone like that in their lives, and that will keep you eternally happy.

I feel very strongly about this subject, and I usually bring it back to family, friends, and loved ones. For whoever reads this, I have one more question. What do you think, yes, no, or yes and no?

We had to write an essay in English class. We didn't have any specific topic, we just had to write an essay. I felt very strongly about money at this time for whatever reason, so I wrote about it.