People are much too interested in their appearance nowadays | Teen Ink

People are much too interested in their appearance nowadays

November 7, 2011
By TopazPenthesilia SILVER, Bangalore, Other
TopazPenthesilia SILVER, Bangalore, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life has no limitations except the ones you make" & "Believing you can means half the battle is won"


We often hear people saying things like “Ooh! Look at that girl! She looks so gorgeous!” or “*Sigh* that boy is so dreamy!” or on the other hand also things like “Oh my god! That girl looks awful! She just explains ugly all the way!”
Even we, ourselves, make comments about people like these. I think that, today, we as a generation are moving towards emphasizing the superfluous things about people. Looks are now becoming our means of judging people. We are extremely unfair in our judgments because appearance is just something we are born with. It cannot define us in any manner. Therefore, I wholly agree that people are much too interested in their appearance nowadays.
It is always about how you look and not about how you think, what you do or the kind of person that you are.
Nowadays, especially in India, girls look “good” only if they are fair, extremely thin, and short and dress in skimpy clothes. Boys also look “good” only if they are thin, tall, fair, and sporty and dress in loose clothing. These are all unreasonable stereotypes which none of us can live up to. There is far more to a person than the way they dress or look.
There are a number of cases of teenage girls who stop eating and become bulimic or anorexic because their peers have called them “fat”. Everyone looks different from each other, and it is unreasonable to judge people based on their looks. It affects the self-esteem, especially, of young teenagers who are unsure of themselves.
Everyone nowadays is too worried about the way they look. All of us are unique in our own way. We are each extremely special and worth every bit of praise we get. We are special not only in the way we look but also in the way we think, act or behave. We need to realize this and, confidently move towards a world, which does not only judge people based on their physical appearance.