The United Nations | Teen Ink

The United Nations

October 20, 2011
By TheBoulder GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey
TheBoulder GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since I was a little boy I wanted to become part of the United Nations when I grew up. The fact that one’s decisions and debates not only affect their country, but others as well is very intoxicating. Recently there has been debate whether Palestine should be recognized as a state or not, and as part of the U.N., and I If I was part of the U.N, I would say that it should. I think that the U.N. needs to pick the right people to make their decisions, and I will try my best to exceed their expectations.

If someone were to ask me, I would try to choose the best solution for all the countries involved in the problem, because I would keep in mind the different traditions and important information a country has. I believe that in order to create peace in the Middle East we must first try to better understand it, and what harm could it do if we allow Palestine to take part in the U.N. We can get a lot closer to other countries if we collaborate, as we will be able to negotiate issues in a more peaceful manner. The UN would be more effective if they spend more time cooperating and talking rather than debating who should take part in the conversations.

According to Article 4 of the Charter of the UN, " Membership in the United Nations is open to all … peace-loving states which accept the obligations contained in the present Charter and, in the judgment of the Organization, are able and willing to carry out these obligations." This exerpt from the article itself states that if a state is peaceful and wants to gain entry into the UN it has the right to do so, so why is the UN debating and creating such a fuss? If I were in charge of the U.N., I would spend less time on that seemingly minor issue, and more time on issues involving human rights and hunger issues. The world can truly benefit from helping one another, and the UN is the organization that promotes peace and harmony between countries. It is very important that all of us cooperate with each other and agree on what is of mutual benefit.

All in all, it would be very pleasant to have better results that are desirable to all, but in order for that to happen, the need for good representatives is needed. When I get older, I hope I can play a major role in these conversations as I will surely not disappoint my people or the world. I will also look at the problem from different points of view, so that I understand how the others in the discussion feel or react to possible solutions. The world would be perfect if everyone agreed with each other, but unfortunately that does not happen. The U.N. attempts to change that to make everyone’s goals and wants get met, but hopefully, with some help, the U.N. will achieve its ultimate goal of world peace.