Rachel's Challenge | Teen Ink

Rachel's Challenge

By CallmeKrista BRONZE, Newont, Massachusetts
CallmeKrista BRONZE, Newont, Massachusetts

Today at my school we had a meeting. It was for Rachel's challenge. I sat threw the whole thing and tried my hardest not to cry. After the meeting I went into the bathroom and cried. It was the most moving speech I'd ever sat threw. Rachel knew she was going to die younge, and she wrote down her 'challenge'. In it she challenge's kids to start a 'chain reaction of kindness'. If you don't know Rachel Scott she was the first killed in 1999 Columbine school shooting. She was 17 years old, and one of a handful of students and one teacher to be killed that day. Her legacy lives on because of the journal's she left behind her. In her journals she wrote down her rules to kindness. Now there are presentations that go from school to school and tell the students about what happened and who Rachel Scott is. For those of you who have been to a Rachel's Challenge presentation you know that there is barely a dry eye in the room. I didn't even know Rachel Scott or about the shooting but i was so moved that I wanted to tell others about this, that's why I'm writing this article. I think it's important that other people learn about this too. If you have a Facebook I encourage you to go like their page, and if you don't go visit their website, RachelsChallenge.com I believe. I was very moved and can't believe that something like this happened. Also go onto youtube and look up Rachel's Challenge and watch the video's. What I took away from Rachel's Challenge is that you can't judge people by how they look, what they wear, how they talk, or how they walk. Try to be nice to as many people as you can, you may just make a huge impact on their life without even knowing it. I can't stress enough how much this story impacted me, it really changed my outlook on people.

This is about Rachel Scott, the first killed in the 1999 Columbine school shooting.

on Oct. 31 2011 at 8:28 am
You're welcome.  I didn't know about it either until after the presentation, so I thought that other people might not know about it too.  That's why I posted this. :)

on Oct. 29 2011 at 11:46 am
alwayssunshine PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
Thank you for sharing this. I didn't know anything about it, but now I will look it up.