Do you want vacation to come sooner or later? | Teen Ink

Do you want vacation to come sooner or later?

By Annalark BRONZE, South Dayton, New York
Annalark BRONZE, South Dayton, New York

" it was a thousand to one and a million to two..." "can you imagine a time when the truth ran free A birth of a song, a death of a dream..."
" this never ending story, hate 4 wheel driving fate We all fall short of glory, lost in ourself.

Join the fight for what you think is right. Do you think that the school year should be shortened? Are you tired of sitting in school for so long? If you answered yes to either of these questions then stand up for what you believe in. Join in and help make a difference in lives of teachers, parents and kids everywhere.

Who likes President Obama? Who follows up on what he wants to do? Do you know that he actually wants to make school years LONGER?! He wants kids everywhere to go to school longer every year. Obama believes that American students have fallen behind on some counterparts like math and science and that that is unacceptable. He believes that the only way to fix the problem is to make school year longer.
In my opinion the school year does not need to be longer, if anything it needs to be shortened. U.S. schools offer an average of 180 days of education per year according to the Education Commission of the States. The president believes that an extra month will help to improve the standards of the student’s minds and can make a difference. What he means by this is that kids lose a lot of information over the summer and this is especially true in poorer districts.
Reality check! If you make the school year longer then the students that cut class now are just going to cut class even more and it might spark many more students to cut class. Also if you make school longer you would be spending more money for all the power in the schools and to feed the students lunch, which will cause economical consequences. Those consequences would include spending more money and running the economy into the ground even more than what it is.
The average school day is 7-8 hours a day. Most students have sports teams and clubs they participate in, or even after school jobs. If Obama makes the school days longer than he would be taking away time to study hard and to do homework accurately. The students would rush through their homework and go to the club or practice they are expected to be at. If the students do this they will most likely quit studying all together because they won’t have enough free time. Therefore the grades of many, if not all, students would severely drop instead of raise as Obama hopes.
Long school hours would put a lot of pressure on students, and they may tend to slack off which could be harmful for education in the long run. The better solution would be to actually shorten classes because teachers would focus on necessary skills and students would be able to stay focused. Kids get antsy and feel the classes are already too long. By shortening the classes you would not be hurting the students learning rate but actually helping them. If you shortened the classes the pressure of learning something new would be split up so it doesn’t seem like a lot.
Also by shortening the days and the years you are giving the students, the teachers, and the administrators a chance to actually have a life and not worry about grades or waking up late or even not being able to make it to work on time.