8 MILLION Americans SUFFER from an EATING DISORDER | Teen Ink

8 MILLION Americans SUFFER from an EATING DISORDER

The topic of eating disorders is extremely passionate to me. Not only have very close friends of mine had a disorder, but me as well. About a year ago, my friend and I would constantly be worried about our weight. We were watching this movie on Lifetime about a girl who went through Anorexia, and undergone treatment afterwards. We were so desperate to lose weight. We never thought of the consequences to come after we started. My friend went through Anorexia, and I went through Bulimia. After a few weeks we were able to see ourselves losing tons of weight. We kept doing it because of the obsession of losing weight. Everyone thought that we were just eating healthy and exercising. Clearly not the case. Our addiction of becoming skinny had become so drastic that we started taking pills on top of it. We had read that those certain drugs did wonders for the body. We spent so much money buying them off of the person handing them to us. My friend and I had started to become very sick, and we didn’t know why. We then were just becoming scared and felt like we couldn’t stop. Another friend of ours knew what was going on because one of her family members went through the same thing. She had then decided that either we needed her to let her help us, or she was telling our parents. It was a struggle to get help but it was done. About the end of July, beginning of August we were back to somewhat of normal eating habits. It was a rough time, but since we allowed the help we were able to still have our lives today.
Do you believe that eating disorders are a immense problem that people in our world suffer from today? Do you know anybody that has or have you yourself ever suffered from an eating disorder? Have you spoken up to help them or yourself? This is a grave matter that is not taken as seriously as it must be. Treatment is always available for disorders such as Bulimia, Anorexia, and Binge Eating. Yes, it may be pricey, but can a saved life really have a price?

Eating disorders have the largest mortality rate of any mental illness. After beginning these disorders, 5-10% dies within 10 years. 18-20% WILL be dead after 20 years. ONLY 30-40% will fully recover from one of these disorders if they seek help and are provided needed treatment.

The age statistics of these disorders are over whelming. 95% of people with an eating disorder are between the ages 12 and 25. They should be too young to worry! 50% of girls see themselves as overweight between the ages 11 and 13. 80% of 13 year old children attempt to lose weight. It is NOT a healthy life style for these young teens. Their body hasn’t even fully developed, and they are depriving themselves of essential nutrients that will help them grow. Additionally, they should be enjoying life, but they’re too concerned about their weight to have a good time with their friends while simply living life.

In the United States, there are too many people that cost their own lives due to these disorders. 1 in 200 people suffer from ANOREXIA. 3 in 100 women suffer from BULIMIA. ½ of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder. How would you feel if you had an eating disorder and no one spoke up to help you? It is your job, as their friend, to help save their life.

Overall, people in this world, including myself, beg you, to speak up and help if you know somebody with an eating disorder. Even if it’s you, seek help! Weight is just a number and no reason to risk or cause the death of a life. Out of the 8 million that suffer from Anorexia, Bulimia, or Binge Eating, 7 million are women and the remaining 1 million are men. Seek help before another life has been taken. Just think, out of that 8 million, what if one of them were you or a loved one? Wouldn’t you want help?