Barbie: Positive Influence or Degrading to Women of All Ages? | Teen Ink

Barbie: Positive Influence or Degrading to Women of All Ages?

By _SusanDenise SILVER, Detroit, Michigan
_SusanDenise SILVER, Detroit, Michigan

Barbie has been around since the 1950's. She has been in many homes across the world and made her mark on history. But there is a debate. Is she a positive influence on young girls or is she degrading the the female population?

I've grown up with barbies scattered around my room and spending hours each day to play with them, brush their hair, and dressed them in fashionable outfits of the time. But I'm not alone. Millions of other girls have also. People look to her as a role-model. She encourages girls to use their imaginations. You can go on a safari adventure with her, then rock the red carpet. She also taught girls that they can be anything they want to be. There was the president barbie, the rock star barbie, the doctor barbie, the gymnast barbie, the astronaut barbie, and many more. She teaches young girls that they can be anything that they want to be. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

Some people disagrees with this and says that Barbie is bad influence. Parents doesn't want their little girls to play with barbie because they view Barbie as a sex symbol. Barbie has a figure that women would kill for, yet it's unobtainable. If Barbie were an actual woman, she would be 5'9" tall, have a 39" bust, an 18" waist, 33" hips and a size 3 shoe. Even though it isn't possible for a woman to have this body, women would still try their hardest to get it. People say because of this, there's a rise in low self-esteem, eating disorders, and plastic surgery.

Barbie has stirred up lots of controversy for over 50 years and it's still debatable whether she's a positive or negative influence. So, I'm going to leave you this question are your Team Barbie or Team Anti-Barbie?

Barbie is a huge figure in society and theirs so much controversy surrounding her. I wanted to tell readers why. I don't want to be biased. I want readers to form their own opinions. Yes, I played with Barbies but that doesn't mean that people that disagrees with me is wrong.

COLEENBauer said...
Cars and houses are expensive and not everybody is able to buy it. Nevertheless, home loans was invented to aid people in such hard situations.