The meaning of true friendship | Teen Ink

The meaning of true friendship

July 11, 2011
By Marie_Martinez SILVER, Houston, Texas
Marie_Martinez SILVER, Houston, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The meaning of true friendship

In a society like today many people (teens especially) believe that having someone to call a friend is important but, as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that this isn’t always true. There’s a huge difference between friends, best friends, schoolmates, classmates and associates. They may all sound the same but they’re not just because you meet someone that doesn’t mean you all will automatically become friends. I tell you this from experience ever since I stepped foot into the world of schooling, I haven’t really met a true friend. But once summer arrives these “so –called friends” are nowhere to be found. This may not apply to all but the majority of teens have a huge life change over the summer. Some of which change physically. But the majority change socially they find new people to hang out with either good or bad. This change isn’t noticeable until school starts or as the school year progresses. Every school year, I adapt to any schooling environment for the simple reason that it’s a whole lot easier for me to be myself. But in this past school year I’ve faced a difficult challenge of trying to figure out who I truly am within. The same thing might be happening to teens all over the world but me personally if I didn’t listen to my teachers in middle school the one advice they gave me is “I won’t truly know who I am until I begin to live life on my own.”In other words the friends that this generation meet today they shouldn’t be able to change the definition of their personality. The only thing that should change is your body, level of maturity, and your mental stage of being. But, most importantly a true friend will accept you for who you are, not for what you have or what you personally believe. A true friend is a person that you can meet in any period of life but, from the moment that you meet this person y’all begin to build a friendship based on trust, honesty, and truthfulness. This is what I define as true friendship.


Yours truly,


Ashley M.


The author's comments:
This is a piece written for school.