Beauty | Teen Ink

Beauty

It’s hard being different. Looking different, acting different, standing out in a world that sets guidelines for normality. You have to look a certain way, talk a certain way, and more explicitly, blend in to fit in. In a society that seemingly stresses individuality, this individuality is in reality inhibited by the very people that sell it. How can we be unique when being ourselves makes us target for harsh judgment and disapproval from those around us? It is not a secret that everyone wants to fit in, and be part of something bigger. But why is it that to do this we must conform to certain requirements and become one and the same with those around us? On the contrary, it is the unique colors and patterns on a quilt that make up its beauty.
We cannot survive in a society of one minded robots. Each of us was created with a rare beauty, and it is a great shame to let that beauty pale and whither alongside those whose beauty is lauded and praised. Who says that we have to be a size 4 to be considered pretty? And why do we have to wear designer clothes to be considered rich? When we put so much emphasis on the materialistic dimension we forget to look around us at the natural world and remember that flower s are beautiful, and those that are truly happy with their lot in life are the ones that are rich.

I know its not a complete work. But this is my first time and I guess I just want to get a feel for things before I actually start.