Love Gone Wrong | Teen Ink

Love Gone Wrong

By lindsi lawrence BRONZE, Laurel, Maryland
lindsi lawrence BRONZE, Laurel, Maryland

One in four women in the United States are victims of domestic violence. Thirty-One percent of women slain in this country are murdered by husbands, boyfriends, or exes- the majority killed after attempting to leave abusive relationships. Especially in teenagers they are vulnerable and looking for a male’s companionship. They are not self confident within themselves and tend to lower their standards. Teens are given parental roles for watching their younger siblings, which makes them grow up fast. Their own parents are absent in their life so they do not have a stable pathway to follow. Avoid domestic violence, break the cycle. Although a teenager’s lack of self-confidence can make him/her vulnerable to unhealthy relationships, it is still imperative that parents understand the causes and effects of domestic violence so that they can prevent it and provide their child with security.Dating violence is defined as physical, sexual or psychological violence within a dating relationship. Women have been looked down for a long period of time, and they are not seen as an important in society; men are supposed to take control and we are supposed to abide by their rules.Teens social lives are also affected with fact o getting beat by the one they love. Victims of being abused cannot admit to themselves that what is happening to them is dangerous; they lack eye contact and socializing with people because the male figure has stripped their self esteem.Lack of parental guidance causes teens to live their lives the way they want, nobody is there to show them the right path, and they tend to fall for the love that they think they are missing.Victims have no freedom; everything they do is monitored by the abuser. Women are cut away from the people they love such as family and friends. Regardless of what young girls are taught, they should respect their body and trust the person they are with, because abusers can not be identified and if they fall for the wrong person.

This was my research paper for a class I took in my school , "Independent Research" to research on Domestic violence and how it is on a rise in our young teens. I want to inspire young girls in abuse relationships.